Balmaghie Pond, Castle Douglas, Dumfries & Galloway. A varied and private amenity woodland extending to 3.63 acres for £41,000 (freehold) [#A1695]
Mature broadleaves with open glades and an attractive pond.
Dumfries and Galloway
DG7 2PD (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Access point: ///twinkling.rider.scarred
Centre of wood: ///intensely.stubborn.trial
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 83 & 84
- Access point: NX 722 624
- Centre of wood: NX 719 625
Balmaghie Pond lies on level and gently sloping ground amidst rolling farmland and woods, about three miles west of Castle Douglas. The A75 Carlisle to Stranraer trunk route is two miles to the south. This connects with the M6 at Gretna Green and the M74 (via the A701) at Moffat. Both are about an hour by car.
The wood is dominated by lofty spreading hardwoods atop grassy glades – testament to its former management as an amenity woodland for the Balmaghie Estate. Beech, oak, ash and sycamore overlie a rich herb layer of wild flowers, soft grasses and swathes of bluebells. To the east there is a narrow band of riparian woodland with willow, alder and birch enjoying the moist conditions which support the pond.
You will need to share this wood with the locals – red and roe deer, badgers, buzzards, bats, songbirds, red kites, sparrow-hawks, stoats and no doubt much besides. Add in a beautiful tranquil location plus proximity to Scotland’s principal food town and you have quite a package.
There is legal right of vehicular access from the public road via the adjacent field and then via the internal woodland track.
If It Were Mine
Conservation management, bird watching, pond enhancement, a little bracken control, stone wall repair, bird boxes, firewood processing, quiet relaxation, camping - pretty much the full gamut for an amenity wood!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Heading west on the A75 continue for about 4 miles past Castle Douglas.
- Turn first right onto the minor road signed for Crossmichael.
- Continue on this road for about 2 miles until you see a wood adjacent to the road on your right.
- The field entrance gate (X on the plan) is about 30 metres after the end of this wood on the opposite (left) side of the road.
- Please park safely nearby and clear of all farm gateways.
- Walk across the field for about 200 metres to enter the wider woodland via the field gate with a woodland management sign on it (A).
- Walk up the woodland track for about 100 metres to enter Balmaghie Pond by a line of blue-topped posts (B).
- The northwest boundary (CD) is the line of an old stone wall.
- The north boundary (DE) is the old stone wall next to the field edge fence.
- The east boundary (BE) is the stock fence on the east side of the track.
- The south boundary (BC) is the north side of an unsurfaced track indicated by blue-topped posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times for all purposes over the route XAB.
- A right of access is reserved to others over the route BE.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
Boundary fence maintenance is believed to be shared equally with neighbours.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.