Craigview, Castle Douglas, Dumfries and Galloway. A plateau of open ground in a most attractive agricultural landscape. 2.77 acres for £19,500 (freehold) [#A1587]
An enclosed area of rough grazing and scattered young trees with a panoramic outlook.
Dumfries and Galloway
This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland. See below for directions.
Access point: ///twinkling.rider.scarred
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 83 and 84
- Entrance (X): NX 722 624
- Centre of wood: NX 719 626
Craigview occupies level ground on the west side of a broadleaf woodland about 3 miles west of Castle Douglas. The main A75 trunk route is just five minutes to the south giving easy access to Galloway and Carlisle.
Craigview was planted with conifers about ten years ago. It was not maintained and most of the trees failed with the result that it is now primarily unimproved grassland punctuated with a few small thickets of young spruce. The trees were planted without grant aid and there is no obligation regarding their establishment. There are some wonderful panoramic views to the north-west of the Galloway Hills.
Thanks to the adjacent woodland and the lack of disturbance the area is rich in wildlife. Both red and roe deer are present, as are badgers, foxes and stoats. Kites, sparrow-hawks and buzzards are also resident along with a variety of songsters and moorland birds in the fields and woods adjacent.
The amenity and conservation potential of Craigview will be immediately evident to any who view.
If It Were Mine
Craigview presents a wonderful blank canvas on which to create a rich habitat of new native woodland and shrubs in conjunction with a superb locus for camping and recreation. I’m not going to say more – paint your own picture of what you might do here!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Heading west on the A75 continue for about 4 miles past Castle Douglas.
- Turn first right onto the minor road signed for Crossmichael.
- Continue on this road for about 2 miles until you see a wood adjacent to the road on your right.
- The field entrance gate (X on the plan) is about 30 metres after the end of this wood on the opposite (left) side of the road.
- Please park safely nearby and clear of all farm gateways.
- Walk across the field for about 200 metres to enter the wider woodland via the field gate with a woodland management sign on it (F).
- Walk up the woodland track for about 100 metres then turn left onto an unsurfaced track (E) just before the pond.
- After 170 metres enter Craigview through a break in the old wall (B).
- The southwest boundary (CD) is a stone wall with a deer fence adjacent.
- The northwest boundary (AD) is a deer fence.
- The southeast boundary (ABC) is an old stone wall.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times for agricultural, forestry and sporting purposes over the route XFEB.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all shared rights of way with liability according to use.
Field boundary maintenance (AD and DC) is shared equally with neighbours.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.