West Loch Spean, Tulloch, near Roy Bridge, Inverness-shire. A substantial portion of Loch Spean set amidst the grandeur of Lochaber. 155.2 acres for £14,000 (freehold) [#A1317]
A lot of water, a stretch of river and three islets.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 42
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Entrance Roughburn Bridge (A): NN 377 813
- Centre: NN 397 813
- East end: NN 418 825
Nearest postcode: PH31 4AR
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
This western portion of Loch Spean is about 6 miles east of Roy Bridge. Fort William is a half hour drive to the southwest and Newtonmore is about 28 miles to the east. The wider landscape is montane with many 3,000+ foot mountains (Munros) including Creag Meaghaidh which rises above the loch and is a national nature reserve.
The sale area is essentially the lower reach of Roughburn (a feeder stream into the loch), part of the waters of the loch itself and three small islands. How the property appears really depends on rainfall and the extent of outflow from the Laggan Dam at the west end of the loch. The loch was full when we visited presenting a stunning waterscape amidst the moody hills of eastern Lochaber and showing the three islets to best advantage. However water levels can fluctuate extensively – a dry period coupled with significant water release from the dam can turn most of the sale area to dry land down to the original line of the River Spean (which has been periodically flooded since the construction of the Laggan Dam in 1934).
Land or water – either way you’ll be hard put to acquire a larger tract of Scotland at this price.
If It Were Mine
Not much for a forester here, but there’s certainly fun to be had on the water, which could combine with an occasional night camping on one of your islands!
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Roy Bridge head east on the A86.
- After 6.5 miles you will see Laggan dam at the west end of Loch Spean on your right.
- Continue for a further ½ mile and park on the left just after the bridge crossing Roughburn (A on the plan).
- The north boundary is the water’s edge (when the loch is at capacity).
- The south boundary is within the waters of the loch, tending to follow the original line of the River Spean below.
- The west boundary is at the bridge where the A86 crosses Roughburn (A on the plan).
- The eastern-most point (B) is where a burn enters the loch below the road (just east of a ‘Welcome to Lochaber’ sign and just west of a looped layby on the A86).
The sporting and fishing rights are included in the sale.
Rights Of Way
The only point of direct point of access to the sale area from a public road is at Roughburn Bridge (point A on the plan). The ‘right to roam’ effectively allows anyone to roam over unrestricted ground in Scotland, but this does not constitute a formal right of access.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please note, we will only accept emails of intent to purchase with photographic evidence of viewing, in the form of a photo of you next to a recognisable view of the sale area.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.