Grey Cairns, Camster, near Wick, Caithness. An area of moorland adjoining a prehistoric monument in the wilds of northeast Scotland. 9.94 acres for £3,500 (freehold) [#A1294]
Moorland with a slice of maturing conifers overlooking the Grey Cairns of Camster.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 11
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Entrance: ND 262 439
- Centre of wood: ND 260 438
Nearest postcode: KW3 6BD
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Grey Cairns is an area of moorland in the far northeast of Scotland, largely surrounded by forestry plantations nearing maturity. Lybster is 6 miles to the southwest. Wick is about 8 miles to the northeast and John o’ Groats a mere 16 miles further.
The property is predominantly undulating open moorland in what is known as The Flow Country (so beloved by the naturalist David Bellamy), but also includes a segment of conifer wood dominated by maturing spruce on its southern fringe.
Aside from wild beauty, the principal interest is the prehistoric structures that abound here. The Grey Cairns of Camster are chambered cairns dating from about 3,000 BC. Two rebuilt ones lie just to the north of the sale area and a third (untouched) one lies within. Towards the south boundary there is a further prehistoric site in the form of stone rows, now largely covered by peat, possibly dating from the early bronze age.
Grey Carins is remote and at times bleak. However it is also a fascinating site and offers the new owner a small slice of Scottish history at a rock bottom price.
Please note, we will only accept emails of intent to purchase with photographic evidence of viewing, in the form of a photo of you next to our Woodland for Sale sign.
If It Were Mine
With suitable guidance I’d be interested to research the chambered cairn and stone rows within the sale area. Both are scheduled ancient monuments.
I’d also aim to encourage some of the scattered conifer regeneration on site to improve shelter and diversity.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Leave the A9 at Latheron turning right onto the A99 for Wick.
- After about 3½ miles, bypass Lybster and then after a further mile turn left onto the unclassified single track road signed for Camster and Watten.
- Drive north for exactly 5 miles. Grey Cairns is now on your left by the second Woods4Sale sign (which is 1.2 miles north of the first Woods4Sale sign advertising the nearby property of Upper Camster).
- The north boundary (AB) is approximately as indicated by orange-topped posts up to its intersection with a stock fence at A.
- The east boundary is the verge of the public road.
- Other boundaries are as per the plan.
The sporting rights are included. They are not let.
Rights Of Way
Access is taken directly from the adjacent public road.
It is not believed there are any boundary fences.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.