Glenling Wood, near Wigtown, Dumfries and Galloway. Maturing mixed conifers with stream frontage, good access and a delightful rural location. 8.75 acres for £41,000 (freehold) [#A1287]
Quality larch and spruce stems of harvestable size on level ground, with immediate road frontage.
Dumfries and Galloway
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 82
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: NX 341 520
- Centre of wood: NX 340 519
Nearest postcode: DG8 9RN
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Glenling Wood lies immediately adjacent to a minor county road near the heart of The Machars peninsula. This largely undiscovered corner of southwest Scotland is a rural landscape of rolling farmland and woods, girded by a varied and interesting coastline. Wigtown (Scotland’s book town) is 6 miles to the northeast. Newton Stewart and the A75 trunk road are a further 12 miles to the north.
The wood is dominated by stands of good form larch on slightly elevated ground, with pockets of Norway spruce between which give a pleasing diversity of colour. The crop is approaching production phase, and harvesting should be straightforward thanks to easily-worked level terrain and immediate road frontage.
The perimeter is fringed with a variety of broadleaves including sycamore, birch and occasional willow, linking with a more extensive area of birch in the southwest corner.
The woodland floor is clean and easy to walk with carpets of larch needles underfoot mingling with soft grasses, ferns and wood sorrel. An old wall to the north and an attractive small burn (stream) to the south combine to create a well-defined property with useful timber reserves.
If It Were Mine
The felling of adjacent woodland has exposed the southern edge and resulted in a few blown stems which I would harvest for woodfuel. Further down the line there is the prospect of harvesting the main conifer crop. A little woodland recreation and camping might also feature.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Wigtown head southwest on the A714 to Bladnoch.
- Cross the river at Bladnoch and then fork right after ¼ mile onto the B7005.
- Continue heading west on this minor road for 5¼ miles until you see a Woods4sale sign on a tree trunk on the left side of the road (B on the plan).
- A further 300 metres brings you to an unclassified road on your left leading to Mochrum and Port William (point A).
- Please park safely near the entrance at B keeping clear of all farm gateways.
- The west boundary (AE) is the roadside verge.
- The north boundary (ABC) is the roadside verge, for the most part defined by a stone wall.
- The southeast boundary (CD) is the midline of the burn (stream), and (DE) the field edge fence.
The sporting rights are included. They are not let.
The coal is reserved to the National Coal Board.
Rights Of Way
There is direct access into the wood from the B7005.
The only boundary fence adjacent to fields is the short length DE on the plan. It is believed the responsibility for this is shared mutually with the neighbour.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.