Rigghead Wood, Bangour Loch, West Lothian, Central Scotland. 4.07 acres of mature conifer shelterbelt in a private location close to Edinburgh, £24,000 (freehold) [#A1251]
Mature Sitka spruce set amidst rolling countryside at the end of a long private track near Torphichen.
OS Landranger map: Sheet 65.
National Grid Ref:
- Access point A: NT 007 723
- Woodland entrance: NT 009 720
Nearest postcode: EH48 4NP
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Rigghead occupies a particularly tranquil rural location between Broxburn, Linlithgow and Bathgate. The M8 and M9 motorways are both just ten minutes away and Edinburgh city centre is less than half an hour to the east.
The wood lies in gently rolling countryside amidst arable fields, pastureland and woods, with wide views north towards the Ochils on the other side of the Forth. There are few areas in this locality which offer such peace and seclusion.
The wood itself is almost exclusively composed of mature Sitka spruce of good form which is ready to harvest. There are pockets of windblow at either end of the wood. A number of hardwoods (principally beech) are dotted along the fringes.
The wood is accessed by a good hard track, but the presence of a ford midway means that 4x4 is advised. The entrance gate gives way to a short length of track and a useful storage shed. The old caravan near the gate is included in the sale.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From junction 3 of the M8 head north for ½ mile on the A899.
- At the second roundabout turn left for Dechmont and then after 300 metres turn first right just before entering the village onto the minor road signed for Bangour Fishery and Linlithgow.
- After about a mile turn left at a crossroads and head west (signed for Bangour Fishery and South Mains).
- Follow the road round to the right past the entrance to the fishery, and drive north for a further 1/3 mile.
- Follow the road round to the left until you see a wood adjacent to the left side of the road.
- The route to Rigghead is via the hard track on the field edge adjacent to this wood (accessed by a green metal gate).
- Please park safely on the verge of the public road and walk up this track for 1/3 mile to its end (crossing a shallow ford midway, so wellies advised). Gates must be left closed as livestock are in the fields.
- The entrance gate of Rigghead is on your left (between B and C on the plan).
- Please do not drive up the track. Full vehicular access will be granted to the purchaser on completion.
The wood is surrounded by fences on all four sides.
The sporting rights are included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are reserved to a previous owner.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of access for all purposes to the property over the track AB. A right of access is reserved to others over the route BC.
- Maintenance of all shared tracks is according to use.
- In line with Scottish legislation the public are entitled to access the woodland subject to the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.
There are no known fencing obligations, so the usual presumption of shared maintenance applies.
Third Party Rights
An overage provision exists until 14th August 2020 whereby a percentage of the increase of the value of the land attributable to securing planning permission for any change of use will be payable to a previous owner.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.