Benbeoch Wood, Waterside, near Fenwick, East Ayrshire. Quality young plantation broadleaves with good access in a secluded rural location. 6.62 acres freehold for £22,500 [#A1154]
Young mixed broadleaves on level ground with a grant income stream, just ½ an hour from Glasgow.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 70
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Entrance: NS 491 444
- Centre of wood: NS 492 442
Nearest postcode: KA3 6JQ
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Benbeoch Wood lies on a broad plateau amidst gently undulating farmland about ½ mile from the attractive village of Waterside. The M77 is just over a mile away giving easy access to Glasgow (17 miles to the northeast) and Kilmarnock (6 miles to the southwest).
Benbeoch is a young plantation on former grazing land dating from 2017. It has been established within a new deer/rabbit fence and the individual trees are further protected by vole guards. Planting is over a double shallow plough and the trees will clearly benefit from the cultivation and drainage this technique affords, especially given the underlying fertile brown-earths present on this site. The trees have also been spot weeded with a residual herbicide.
The larger level area is under a mixture dominated by sycamore with minor elements of beech and downy birch. Towards the southeast where the ground slopes away to a small stream, the sycamore is replaced by oak along with some wild cherry plus minor elements of aspen and hazel. There are some full-canopy beech trees on the perimeter (especially on the west boundary) along with some mature hawthorn bushes to the east.
The woodland is in a delightfully secluded location hidden from public view, yet enjoying wide views over surrounding farmland and the Craufurdland Valley. Access is excellent with a good hard stone track all the way to the entrance gate. It was established with grant aid through an SRDP Rural Development Contract which the new owner will be required to take on. The vendor reports that this will produce an income stream over the next four years totalling £6,391.
Benbeoch will change dramatically over the coming years as the saplings become trees. It is now at its most affordable stage and offers a good skelp of ground for the money. The new owner will no doubt derive much pleasure from watching and shaping the development of this young wood.
There is a right of access through Benbeoch to the adjacent property Riverside Copse (7.81 acres, also on the Woods4Sale website). Please note that Benbeoch will only be sold after (or with) a sale of Riverside. The vendor is willing to discuss a combined sale – please contact the agent for more details.
If It Were Mine
The most important job is to maintain the young trees with regular spot weeding, and replace any failures. I’d also mow the perimeter rides to maintain a fire-break and to benefit access. The amenity value of this site will grow with the young trees, so quiet recreation is also in prospect.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Please take extra care if walking across the ploughed areas.
Please take extra care if walking across the ploughed areas.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Glasgow take the M77 towards Ayr, and exit at junction 6.
- At the end of the off-ramp turn right onto the A77 signed for Galston.
- After 1.3 miles turn left onto the A719 signed for Galston, Waterside and Moscow.
- After 0.9 miles turn left (just after the water works and a bungalow), onto a narrow tarmac road running between chain-link fences.
- Continue on this road (which passes a farm and then becomes more of a track) for ½ mile until you see a Red Rock Forestry management sign on your right (A on the plan).
- The entrance to Benbeoch plantation is the metal deer gate a short distance down the hard track to your right (B).
- You can park outside the forestry gate. Please do not drive into the enclosure.
- It is most important that the woodland gate is kept firmly closed at all times during your visit to ensure that deer and rabbits do not enter the enclosure.
- The northeast boundary (ABC) is the field-edge stock fence just outside the new deer fence.
- The south boundary (CD) is the line of a derelict stock fence.
- The west boundary (AFED) is the field-edge stock fence just outside the new deer fence.
The sporting rights are in hand and not let.
Rights Of Way
A right of access (including the right to build a stone track) is reserved to others over the route AFED, with maintenance according to use.
As is usual in Scotland, field boundary maintenance is believed to be shared equally with neighbours.
Contracts & Grants
The trees in Benbeoch and the adjacent property to the south were planted under Forestry Grant Scheme contract ref 16FGS12598. The contract will be split and the incoming owner will be required to take on the part relating to Benbeoch by signing a Transfer of Obligations and a Successors form. The vendor states this will produce £1,597 per year for four years from 2019 to 2022.
Further details are available from the agent on request.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- The full contact details (full name, address & phone number) and date of birth of the legal purchaser(s)
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.