Baldoon Wood, Sorbie, near Wigtown, Wigtownshire. An attractive maturing spruce wood plus pockets of hardwoods in a most attractive rural location. 11.75 acres freehold for £89,000 [#A1147]
Mixed conifers and broadleaves with the benefits of good access, a pond and proximity to the Solway Coast.
Dumfries and Galloway
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 83
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Entrance: NX 436 478
- Centre of wood: NX 438 478
Nearest postcode: DG8 8AH
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Baldoon Wood occupies a near level site on smooth ground amidst the attractive undulating scenery of south Wigtownshire, close to Wigtown Bay on the Solway Coast. The wider landscape is of grazing fields punctuated by woods, copses and stone walls. The wood fronts a public road which connects with the main A75 trunk route at Newton Stewart 11 miles to the north. Wigtown, Scotland’s book town, is a five-minute drive away and the attractive Machars coast is close at hand.
The majority of the site is conifer, dominated by Sitka spruce with a peppering of Norways. Mature hardwoods line much of the southern edge. There is also a stand of maturing ash by the main entrance and an area of birch at the southern corner of the wood. Most of the wood is wrapped around by a stone wall.
There is a right of access for all purposes into the wood via a hard track on the southwest corner. The wood also benefits from shared use of the timber-stacking area just opposite this entrance. This in conjunction with the adjacent A714 should facilitate easy extraction and delivery of woodland produce to market.
Aside from its timber credentials Baldoon Wood has considerable charm, with pockets of broadleaves, a pond and attractive views over open country. It is perhaps a little larger than some, but still very manageable.
If It Were Mine
The conifer crops are ready for a thin. I’d also be keen to clear the pond, and tidy up the old pheasant release pen.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Newton Stewart head south on the A714.
- Bypass Wigtown and the pass through the small village of Bladnoch, crossing the river of the same name.
- Continue south for 2 miles to Kirkinner and then on for a further 2.3 miles until you see a Red Rock Forestry management sign on a tree on your right.
- Continue a further 350 metres past the end of the woodland to an area of hard-standing on the right, just after two semi-detached cottages.
- The entrance to Baldoon Wood (J) is opposite.
- The larger part of the wood (ABC and EFGH) is bounded by a stone wall.
- CDE and HJ are fenced.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of access over the route HJ at all times for all purposes.
- A right of access is reserved to others over the route BG.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way, with liability according to use.
As is usual in Scotland, field boundary maintenance is believed to be shared equally with neighbours.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.