Bartrostan Wood, Newton Stewart, Wigtownshire. 10.66 acres of open mixed woodland with good access and road frontage for £35,000 (freehold) [#A1132]
A mix of hardwoods and meadowland with a small stream on level ground in the heart of rural Galloway.
Dumfries and Galloway
OS Landranger map: Sheet 83
National Grid Ref:
- Access point (A): NX 379 601
- Centre of wood: NX 380 600
Nearest postcode: DG8 6QJ
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Bartrostan Wood lies at the head of The Machars - a peninsula of rolling farmland that forms the west side of Wigtown Bay. Newton Stewart is 10 minutes to the northeast and Wigtown (Scotland’s official book town) is a similar distance to the southeast. The A75 trunk road three miles to the north enables ready access through Galloway to Dumfries, Carlisle and beyond.
The wood occupies a very quiet location on level ground and is surrounded by gently undulating farmland and other woodland. It is enriched by about 100 metres of stream which cuts through the southeast corner of the property. Access is off the adjacent minor county road which runs along its northern edge.
Bartrostan presents a delightful prospect with its intimate mix of woodland and meadow. Four areas of open ground are scattered within this broadleaf wood which is principally composed of birch, sycamore and the occasional oak. A few Norway spruce add a splash of winter colour near the entrance and some willows are found in damper ground on the east and west fringes of the wood.
We saw a number of roe deer when we visited, their rough barks complemented by passing skeins of geese honking in the skies overhead. Woodland songsters will no doubt make themselves known as spring approaches. There’s plenty of wildlife here and enlightened management could further enrich this habitat.
If seclusion, beauty or conservation is of interest then this generously-sized property really deserves a look.
If It Were Mine
I would lay a track southeast from the entrance to the first open glade and manage an area of grass there to create a locus for quiet enjoyment.
Planting a wider range of native species would diversify the habitat and fruit-bearing shrubs would benefit the birds. Some nest-boxes would be good too.
More adventurously I might consider a pond in the southeast corner beyond the stream.
The wood is subject to some historic farm tipping, so I would look at its removal.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From its junction with the A714 (a roundabout just south of Newton Stewart), head west on the A75 for 1.2 miles, then turn left onto a minor county road immediately before a cream coloured stone bungalow.
- Continue south on this minor road for exactly 3 miles until you see a wood with a Woods4Sale sign on your left.
- The best place to park is a lay-by almost opposite the entrance.
- Enter the wood on foot via the gate at A (near the For Sale sign).
- PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE INTO THE WOOD.
- The northwest boundary (DAB) is the roadside verge.
- The east boundary (BC) is a stone wall.
- The south boundary (CD) is stone wall.
The sporting rights are included. They are not let.
Rights Of Way
- Access is immediately off the public road (A on the plan).
- As is usual in Scotland, field boundary maintenance is believed to be shared equally with neighbours.
- Please note that the vendor undertakes to make the south boundary stock-proof (if this has not been done prior to sale).
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- The full contact details (full name, address & phone number) and date of birth of the legal purchaser(s)
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.