Moore Wood, New Pitsligo, Aberdeenshire. An interesting mosaic of mixed age conifers and open ground extending to 12.44 acres for £26,000 (freehold) [#A1126]
Mature spruce, a stand of larch and an extensive open area affording amenity, conservation and silvicultural opportunity near to the Aberdeenshire village of New Pitsligo.
OS Landranger map: Sheets 30
National Grid Ref:
Access point (A): NJ 891 554
Centre of wood: NJ 890 550
Nearest postcode: AB43 6NQ
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Moore Wood forms the west part of a larger conifer wood a short distance to the southeast of New Pitsligo in rural Aberdeenshire. Fraserburgh is about 20 minutes to the northeast and Aberdeen is an hour’s drive to the south.
The wood occupies level ground and is essentially of three parts. The southern portion is stocked with mature Sitka spruce, whilst to the northwest there is a stand of maturing larch on slightly elevated ground. Between the two is an extensive area of open ground speckled with a mosaic of young mixed conifer (principally spruce and lodgepole pine) and a patch of willow. The mix makes for a visually appealing property.
The woodland floor under the larch is reasonably clear and easily walked. The spruce area is rather more cluttered with a number of smaller fallen stems under some larger diameter trees. The open area is a complex of heath vegetation on the west side giving way to wetter rushy ground further east.
Moore Wood could easily develop further as a conservation refuge in what is a fairly open area of farmland. We noted woodcock and geese aplenty and signs of deer as well. With the right management this diverse property could evolve into a rich and rewarding habitat.
There is a full vehicular right of access to the wood but this has not been used for some time and is in need of upgrade.
Plenty to do here, but also much to enjoy.
If It Were Mine
Where to start? After improving the access to and within the wood, I’d look at optimising the abundant habitat opportunities. Planting some native hardwoods in open ground on the drier west side, digging a pond in the middle and converting the spruce area to broadleaf woodland are all candidates. I’d also consider creating a locus for camping in the larch or in the heath area.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Shortly after leaving New Pitsligo (heading southeast on the A950), turn first left (east) onto the B 9093 signed for Strichen.
- The entrance to the wood is via double gates (A on the plan) about 240 metres along this road on the right.
- PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE INTO THE FIELD. PARK CLEAR OF THE GATES WHERE SAFE TO DO SO.
- Walk down the edge of the field from A for about 200 metres to enter Moore Wood via the gate at B.
- The north boundary (BF) is a field edge stock fence.
- The east boundary (BC) is indicated by blue-topped posts across open ground as far as the mature spruce trees. This line (CD) extrapolates on through the spruce to the southern point (D).
- The west boundary (DE) is the field edge fence.
- The west boundary (EF) appears to lie about 10 metres inside the field edge fence.
The sporting rights are included. They are not let.
Rights Of Way
- There is right of access to the property for all purposes over the route AB.
- Maintenance of all shared tracks is according to use.
Field edge fencing is believed to be shared equally with neighbours.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.