Aldroughty Wood, Elgin, Moray. 24.55 acres of majestic mature hardwoods for £94,000 (freehold). A shepherd’s hut is also available for £10,000 [#A1060]
A high amenity ancient woodland with mature full-canopy stems and productive stands of timber near to one of Scotland’s most elegant towns.
£94,000 (freehold) + £10,000 for the shepherd’s hut if wanted.
OS Landranger map: Sheet 28
National Grid Ref:
- Access Point (near A): NJ 183 627.
- Centre of wood: NJ 186 627.
Nearest postcode: IV30 8UN.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Aldroughty Wood lies within an extensive ancient woodland site about a mile west of Elgin, near the Moray Firth. This historic and attractive county town is about an hour northeast of Inverness and 90 minutes northwest of Aberdeen.
Locals will be familiar with the majestic beech trees that fringe the public road on the wood’s northern edge. Behind this striking front is a hidden interior which supports a healthy variety of trees and habitats. Scattered mature beech stems characterise much of the property, sometimes overlying semi-open glades and sometimes sheltering other species. Occasionally other broadleaves dominate with stands of mature oak and birch evident to east and west. A number of areas also support robust maturing conifers growing singly or in mixture including Douglas fir and Norway spruce plus occasional larch and Scots pine.
Aside from modest slopes on the west and south fringes, most of the woodland occupies level ground. This in conjunction with a clean forest floor makes almost all areas readily accessible, aided by unsurfaced tracks entering the wood from the west and northeast. This wood has all the attributes needed for easy management and harvesting – level terrain, reasonable drainage, a range of species in production phase and proximity to a variety of timber markets.
Thanks to good drainage and a sheltered site the mature hardwoods appear stable with no evidence of windthrow. Thus, there is the expectation of enjoying the cathedral-like character of the wood for many years to come, while a well-conceived long-term management plan could sustain this quality almost indefinitely. The current owners have clearly enjoyed the property as evidenced by a central recreational area with two sheds, a yurt and a shepherd’s hut. The yurt will be removed but the sale includes the two sheds, and the shepherds hut is available if wanted.
I don’t often use the word ‘discerning’ but here I think it well describes those who would appreciate the undoubted qualities of this fine wood.
If It Were Mine
I would spend a lot of time here! Camping, BBQs and woodland recreation are a given. There is also plenty for the aspiring woodsman with the opportunity to thin some of the conifers and (over time) to restructure some of the hardwoods to the benefit of successive regeneration, habitat diversity and the log store. I’d also consider stoning the track from the northeast entrance to enhance all-weather access.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head west from Elgin on the A96 until you see ‘Riverside Kitchens and Cookery School’ on your right (about 1½ miles).
- Continue for a further 250 metres and then turn left onto a private tarmac drive signed ‘Aldroughty’.
- Park on your left after about 50 metres, (midway between A and B on the plan) ensuring you keep the access drive clear. Aldroughty Wood is now on your left.
- Access can also be gained to the property via:
a) the northeast corner (G on the plan). This is almost opposite a layby on the A96 about 250 metres east of Riverside Kitchens. This is strictly pedestrian access only for viewing.
b) the southern edge by following the drive round to point E on the plan (identified by an electricity sub-station with a small pull-off adjacent).
- The north boundary (AG) is believed to be the line of a derelict fence near the roadside verge.
- The south and east boundary (EFG) is indicated periodically by red-topped posts.
- The short south boundary (DE) is the north verge of the tarmac drive.
- The southwest boundary (BCD) is indicated periodically by blue-topped posts within the wood.
- The west boundary (AB) is the east verge of the tarmac drive.
The sporting rights are included. They are not let.
Rights Of Way
- There is right of access to the property for all purposes over the route ABDE.
- Maintenance of all shared tracks is according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
A previous owner imposed a number of burdens (restrictive covenants) to protect the woodland relating to disturbance, hazardous goods/activities and the prevention of sub-division on resale. In addition, buildings can only be erected with consent (which shall not be unreasonably withheld). Further details are available from the agent.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.