Christmas Wood, Stiddlehill, Ridsdale, Northumberland. Maturing conifers within a gated woodland set amidst the Northumberland Moors. 3.38 acres for £58,000 (freehold) [#A2160]
A most attractively located conifer wood with open ground, excellent access and long views.
NE48 2TB (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Main entrance (A): ///stylists.unzips.nags
Centre of wood: ///hooked.soup.organist
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 80
- Main entrance (A): NY 921 852
- Centre of wood: NY 921 851
Christmas Wood lies on level ground at the entrance to a larger coniferous woodland set amidst the sweeping landscape of the Northumberland Moors a short distance outside the National Park boundary. The attractive villages of Ridsdale and West Woodburn are minutes away. Both have good pubs. A twenty-minute drive south gets you to Corbridge. Newcastle is a forty-minute drive to the southeast.
Christmas Wood contains a pleasing blend of lodgepole pine, Norway spruce and open ground, the conifers being the legacy of an unharvested Christmas tree crop. The stocking density varies from dense stands to scattered individuals in a mosaic of open ground, making for a bright property.
Vehicular access is excellent thanks to a substantial track readily accessible to 2WD but also suitable for timber extraction. The track leads to an area of hard-standing part of which supports the substantial steel framework of a former shed. A serviceable container is adjacent.
Like its neighbours, Christmas Wood has a wonderfully wild feel and is an ideal base from which to explore the surrounding countryside.
SAFETY NOTE. Christmas Wood and the adjacent woodland was mined in the past. A Coal Mining Report from 2021 indicates disused shafts near the northwest side of the wood. Using the map from this report the approximate locations are indicated on the sale plan. The shafts have not been located on the surface and no treatment details are available. Please take extra care when viewing.
If It Were Mine
So much potential here!
With its private central area of hard-standing, Christmas Wood presents a rare opportunity to develop an amenity area of generous proportion, well suited to accommodating a large camper van. It also offers an excellent location for processing and storing timber. I would also want to explore opportunities to redevelop the remnant steel shed frame (in whole or part) as a forestry store.
The open areas invite enrichment planting with native broadleaves like birch, rowan and native woody shrubs. Aside from diversifying the habitat this would also benefit local fauna and visual amenity. The central stream would benefit from cleaning and offers the possibility of creating a pond.
Finally I might consider a deck in the open area on the north edge to take advantage of the wide moorland views.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head north from Corbridge on the A68 for about 14 miles to the small village of Ridsdale.
- At the far end of the village turn first right (east) onto the road signed for Kirkwhelpington and Knowesgate.
- After 0.7 mile, park at (but clear of) the metal entrance gate to a conspicuous conifer wood on your right (A on the plan).
- Climb the gate to enter Christmas Wood and follow the track to the right to reach hard standing near the centre of the property.
- Sorry we don't provide keys for viewing.
- The north boundary (AE) is the roadside stone wall.
- The east boundary (AB) east side of the hard track.
- The south boundary (BC) is marked by white-topped posts.
- The southwest boundary (CDE) is marked by red-topped posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are not included. The title to the mines and minerals is not registered.
Rights Of Way
- Access is taken directly off the public road at point A on the plan.
- A right of access is reserved to others over the route AB.
- A maintenance clause covers all shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in the wood.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Please confirm how you will be funding the purchase and that you have cleared funds available
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. We cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the land.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.