Dog Wood, Birtley, near Wark, Northumberland. 1.09 acres of streamside broadleaves in secluded countryside for £19,500 (freehold) [#A1810]
Well-managed maturing mixed broadleaves in a charming location just south of the village of Birtley.
NE48 3HN (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 87
- Roadside gate: NY 876 775
- Centre of wood: NY 876 775
Dog Wood occupies gently sloping south-facing ground just outside the picturesque hamlet of Birtley amidst a rolling landscape of fields and woods. The A68 is 5 minutes to the east and the A69 at Hexham is 15 minutes to the south, giving easy access to this quiet location.
Maturing mixed broadleaves which have been sensitively thinned dominate the wood. They now present as a bright and airy stand of clean stems with an uncluttered woodland floor making it delightful to walk through. The dominant species is birch but you will also find minor elements of lime, alder and willow. The south edge supports a fringe of more mature stems including a number of oak.
The woodland is bounded to the north and east sides by a well-established young beech hedge which promises enhanced seclusion in the years to come…not that privacy is really a problem here! The south boundary is marked by an attractive stream in a shallow gulley, beyond which there are views over the open fields adjacent.
Dog Wood and the adjacent mixed habitat is rich in wildlife. Aside from the usual array of woodland birds and mammals it is also on the fringe of the Kielder red squirrel protection area.
Quiet enjoyment, a little silviculture and conservation projects are all in prospect for the new owner of this affordable wood. And what does size matter when your property is surrounded by such lovely countryside?
If It Were Mine
I’d look to continue the thinning programme in the years to come which should enable Dog Wood to evolve into a quality stand of mature hardwoods. The young beech hedge will benefit from regular trimming as it develops.
On the recreation front I might level a small section of ground near the stream for camping and BBQs…lovely!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Dog Wood is just over a mile east of Wark, and ¼ mile south of the hamlet of Birtley.
- Leave Wark heading east across the bridge over the River North Tyne.
- Turn left at the T junction at the far end of the bridge, signed for Birtley.
- Follow this road for 1.2 miles.
- Dog Wood is now on your right, opposite a conifer wood.
- Please park clear of all gateways and enter the wood on foot.
- The north boundary (AB) is the roadside verge marked by a young beech hedge.
- The southeast boundary (BC) is the northwest edge of the track marked by a young beech hedge.
- The south boundary (CD) is the line of a stream.
- The southwest boundary (AD) is marked by a line of red-topped posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are reserved to a previous owner.
Rights Of Way
- Access is taken directly off the public highway.
- There are no public rights of way within the wood.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are a number of historic restrictive covenants. In summary these:
- restrict use to forestry and ancillary purposes
- prevent the construction of buildings
- prevent the keeping of animals (except domestic pets)
- prohibit nuisance to neighbours
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. We cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the land.