Kimberly Wood, Stocksfield, Northumberland. Mature broadleaves in the heart of a large gated woodland just half an hour from Newcastle city centre. 4.35 acres for £34,000 [#A1577]
An attractive complex of broadleaves and glades on gently sloping ground with good access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 88
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Entrance (A): NZ 082 611
- Centre of wood: NZ 093 606
Nearest postcode: NE42 5PD
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Kimberly Wood lies near the middle of a substantial broadleaf woodland known as Hyons Wood, two miles south-west of Prudhoe. Hexham is about 10 miles to the northwest and Newcastle a similar distance to the east. Both are easily reached in half an hour via the A69.
The wood occupies level and gently sloping ground in a shallow valley above the Stanley Burn, a tributary of the Tyne. It is served by a well-found 2WD track which links to a private parking spur on the east side of the property.
The woodland canopy is primarily composed of scattered oak stems set amidst a mosaic of birch. Other species present include beech, rowan, alder and holly along with some willow on the lower north side. The understory contains a variety of regenerated saplings along with a good showing of hazel and the occasional hawthorn. Being well-spaced means many of the stems are full canopied and they open out still further into small grassy glades in a number of locations across the wood.
Thanks to the larger surrounding woodland (over 200 acres) there’s plenty of resident wildlife, both on the ground and in the air….badgers, foxes and tawny owls at dusk, buzzards in the day and a marvellous dawn chorus in springtime.
Standing in its leafy shade it’s hard to believe the wider woodland was a working coal mine until the middle of the last century. Kimberly is now a haven of privacy and tranquillity.
Safety Note: Due to historic mining activity in the wider woodland there may be unknown entrances and fissures which are not visible on the surface. There is no definitive plan of mining activity. Please take extra care when viewing.
If It Were Mine
Felling a few of the birch would open up some coupes where I could then plant a variety of native trees and shrubs as well as providing excellent firewood for the campfire.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head west out of Prudhoe on the A695 for ½ mile to the village of Mickley Square.
- Turn left in the middle of the village onto Eastgate Bank.
- Continue south up the hill for 0.9 mile, passing through the hamlet of High Mickley.
- Turn left at the T junction just after the village.
- Drive east for 200 yards then turn first right into an area of hard standing, parking clear of the steel barrier (A on the plan). Sorry we do not give out keys for viewings.
- Walk south down the track beyond the steel barrier for 800 metres to the woodland gate (B).
- Enter the woodland via the personnel gate (B) and continue on the main central track (swinging east) for about 900 metres until you see a hard track to your left (F).
- Turn down this track and Kimberly Wood is on your left.
Kimberly Wood is almost a mile from the public road. A bicycle may assist viewing access.
- The north boundary (DE) is marked by a line of white-topped posts.
- The east boundary (EF) is the east side of the hard track.
- The south boundary (CF) is the south side of the hard track.
- The west boundary (CD) is marked by a line of red-topped posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are not included. Please click on the button below for more details.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times for all purposes over the route XABC.
- A right of access is reserved to others over the route CFE.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in the wood.
There are no fencing liabilities.
The woodland lies within the former Tynedale Greenbelt.
Third Party Rights
- A right is reserved to Harworth Estates to enter with plant and machinery to carry out environmental tests and geological surveys.
- An overage (clawback) agreement exists whereby 50% of the increase in the value of the land attributable to securing certain types of planning permission is payable to Harworth Estates.
- There is a covenant not to use the property other than for agricultural or forestry purposes.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. If you wish to purchase this property please register your interest with us. All parties who do so will then be invited to submit their best and final offer for a given closing date. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.