Stonyflat Wood, Stocksfield, Northumberland. Mature broadleaf woodland near the end of a private track just half an hour from Newcastle city centre. 9.18 acres for £58,000 (freehold) [#A1537]
A most attractive mix of hardwoods on gently sloping ground with good access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 88
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Entrance (A): NZ 082 611
- Centre of wood: NZ 091 604
Nearest postcode: NE42 5PD
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Stonyflat Wood lies near the middle of a substantial broadleaf woodland known as Hyons Wood, two miles south-west of Prudhoe. Hexham is about 10 miles to the northwest and Newcastle a similar distance to the east. Both are easily reached in half an hour via the A69.
The wood occupies level and gently sloping ground in a shallow valley above the Stanley Burn, a tributary of the Tyne. It is served by a well-found 2WD track which links to a private parking spur on the north side of the property.
The principal species is birch, many of which are approaching maturity and sport elegant silver stems. In between there are a number of broad-canopied oaks, some scattered holly and the occasional sycamore. There are also some pockets of willow and alder. The understory contains a variety of regenerated saplings along with a good showing of hazel and the occasional hawthorn.
Thanks to the larger surrounding woodland (over 200 acres) there’s plenty of resident wildlife, both on the ground and in the air….badgers, foxes and tawny owls at dusk, buzzards in the day and a marvellous dawn chorus in springtime.
Stonyflat will appeal to those at home with a chainsaw or planting spade and a taste for quiet recreation in a generously-sized private green space.
If It Were Mine
There’s real scope to engage with a semi-natural woodland habitat here. A few small felling coupes in the birch would create opportunities to plant a wider range of native trees and shrubs, while some mechanical bracken clearance would enhance opportunities for the ground flora beneath. A campsite with fire-pit in one of the small glades also appeals.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head west out of Prudhoe on the A695 for ½ mile to the village of Mickley Square.
- Turn left in the middle of the village onto Eastgate Bank.
- Continue south up the hill for 0.9 mile, passing through the hamlet of High Mickley.
- Turn left at the T junction just after the village.
- Drive east for 200 yards then turn first right into an area of hard standing, parking clear of the steel barrier (A on the plan).
- Walk south down the track beyond the steel barrier for 800 metres to the woodland gate (B).
- Enter the woodland via the personnel gate (B) and continue on the main central track (swinging east) for about 350 metres until you reach a broad ride to your right marked by blue-topped posts (C).
- Stonyflat Wood is on your right after this point.
Stonyflat Wood is almost a mile from the public road. A bicycle may assist viewing access.
Safety Note: Due to historic mining activity in the wider woodland there may be unknown entrances and fissures which are not visible on the surface. There is no definitive plan of mining activity. Please take extra care when viewing.
- The north boundary (CD) is the south side of the track.
- The east boundary (DE) is marked by a line of white-topped posts
- The south boundary (EF) is marked by a line of orange-topped posts.
- The west boundary (CF) is the east side of the unsurfaced track indicated by blue-topped posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale and are not let.
The mineral rights are not included. Please click on the button below for more details.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times for all purposes over the track ABCD.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in the wood.
There are no fencing liabilities.
The woodland lies within the former Tynedale Greenbelt.
Third Party Rights
- A right is reserved to Harworth Estates to enter with plant and machinery to carry out environmental tests and geological surveys.
- An overage (clawback) agreement exists whereby 50% of the increase in the value of the land attributable to securing certain types of planning permission is payable to Harworth Estates.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.