Fusiliers Wood, Stocksfield, Northumberland. Mixed broadleaves half an hour from Newcastle city centre. 7.31 acres for £37,500 (freehold) [#A1501]
Native species, open glades and good access within a private gated woodland.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 88
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Entrance (A): NZ 082 611
- Centre of wood: NZ 096 608
Nearest postcode: NE42 5PD
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Fusiliers Wood occupies gently sloping and near-level ground on the east edge of a larger broadleaf woodland known as Hyons Wood, some 2 miles south-west of Prudhoe. Hexham is about 10 miles to the northwest and Newcastle a similar distance to the east. Both are easily reached in half an hour via the A69.
The wider woodland was mined for coal in Victorian times but is now a haven of sylvan tranquillity. There is a scattering of open grown oak across the wood within which are stands of birch and small clumps of holly. Beneath this you will find hazel, hawthorn and some regenerating stems including oak, birch and beech. There are also a few willow and some mature beech on the north edge.
The wood has a number of open glades, often visited by browsing roe deer. Foxes and badgers also pass through while above you may hear woodland songsters, the mewing of buzzards and the haunting call of curlews from adjacent fields.
Fusiliers Wood is served by a well-found hard track (suitable for 2WD access) which links to a private parking spur on its south side for ‘in-wood’ parking. The easy terrain and largely clean woodland floor makes for easy pedestrian access across most of the wood – ideal for both recreation and management.
If It Were Mine
There’s plenty of deadwood for the campfire and cutting a few standing stems would feed my wood-burner at home. I’d like to see a few more native species so would plant some fruiting shrubs and trees in a few open spaces.
Flailing the bracken in one of the glades would gradually restore a ground flora of grass and herbs….which would also make an ideal woodland camp site.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head west out of Prudhoe on the A695 for ½ mile to the village of Mickley Square.
- Turn left in the middle of the village onto Eastgate Bank.
- Continue south up the hill for 0.9 mile, passing through the hamlet of High Mickley.
- Turn left at the T junction just after the village.
- Drive east for 200 yards then turn first right into an area of hard standing, parking clear of the steel barrier (A on the plan).
- Walk south down the track beyond the steel barrier for 800 metres to the woodland gate (B).
- Enter the woodland via the personnel gate (B) and continue on the main central track (swinging east).
- After about 900 metres you will see a hard track off to your left (C).
- Continue straight on for a further 200 metres until you see a line of blue-topped posts off to your left (D). This is about 150 metres before the end of the track (H).
- Fusiliers Wood is on your left after point D.
- Fusiliers Wood is over a mile from the public road. A bicycle may assist viewing access.
Safety Note: Due to historic mining activity in the wider woodland there may be unknown entrances and fissures which are not visible on the surface. There is no definitive plan of mining activity. Please take extra care when viewing.
- The east boundary (GH) is the field-edge stock fence.
- The south boundary (DH) is the south side of the main track.
- The west boundary (DE) is marked by a line of blue-topped posts.
- The north boundary (EF) is marked by blue-topped posts on the north side of an unsurfaced track and (FG) a stock fence on the south side of a green lane (opposite open fields).
The sporting rights are owned an dincluded in the sale included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are not included. Please click on the button below for more details.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over the route ABCD.
- A right of way is reserved to others over the route DH (including to the adjacent fields beyond H). This track is also a bridleway to point J.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way, with liability according to use.
- A public byway clips the north side of the wood (EF).
There are no known fencing liabilities.
The woodland lies within the former Tynedale Greenbelt.
Third Party Rights
- A right is reserved to Harworth Estates to enter with plant and machinery to carry out environmental tests and geological surveys.
- An overage (clawback) agreement exists whereby 50% of the increase in the value of the land attributable to securing certain types of planning permission is payable to Harworth Estates.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.