Bewick Copse, Widdrington, Northumberland. Mature mixed broadleaves near the end of a private track about 20 minutes north of Morpeth. 3.42 acres freehold for £32,000 [#A1474]
Mature stems, open glades, privacy and good access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 81
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Entrance off public road (X): NZ 227 946
- Centre of wood: NZ 215 934
Nearest postcode: NE61 5DW
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Bewick Copse lies at the end of a long track on the south side of an island of mature woodland which is surrounded by wide open agricultural fields. Rothbury is about 20 minutes to the northwest and Morpeth a similar distance to the south. Newcastle is about 45 minutes by car.
The wood lies on near-level ground overlooking grazing land to the north and fronting attractive mature woodland to other compass points. Tranquillity is pretty much assured in this private location, and the wider woodland has become something of a refuge for wildlife. Roe deer, badgers and bats are all resident and the wood is invariably alive with birdsong. We also saw pheasant and woodcock, and heard lapwing, geese and curlew in adjacent fields.
Bewick supports a range of broadleaves and shrubs with an attractive mix of oak, birch and ash among which are some lofty stems. Within this are patches of hazel, some fringing alder, willow and the occasional elm. The well-spaced stems have encouraged a rich herb layer of soft grasses and ferns with occasional bluebells and a variety of seasonal woodland associates like wood sorrel, anemone and dogs mercury.
The woods are accessed via a Restricted Byway from the public road. This substantial and well-proven track connects with a newly constructed track within the woodland which is suitable for 2WD. There is a private parking spur on the northwest side of the wood.
If It Were Mine
Bewick has huge scope both for family woodland adventures and quiet enjoyment.
On the silvicultural front I would progressively harvest the ash stems (some of which sadly are showing signs of disease), and recruit the emerging regeneration to take their place. The compensation would be plenty of top quality firewood.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head north out of Morpeth on the A197.
- One mile after Ulgham (and just before entering the village of Widdrington Station), turn left onto the unclassified road signed for Stobswood and Felton.
- Drive for exactly one mile and then turn left through double gates onto a hard track (X on the plan). The gate is opposite a parking area and adjacent to a lone ash tree. PLEASE ENSURE THE GATE IS LEFT CLOSED.
- Drive south between open fields on the track for 500 metres, then turn first right (Y - shortly after some wooden railing over a culvert).
- Continue west for 1,000 metres and then take the first left turn (Z).
- Continue south for a further 500 metres then turn right (A at the corner of young woodland), then left after 120 metres onto the new stone track at (B).
- Please park outside the wooden gate at B keeping clear of all routes.
- Walk round the wooden gate and follow the track ahead for 250 metres to enter the mature woodland at C.
- Continue straight ahead on the track for 140 metres until you see a line of white-topped posts to your left (D).
- Bewick Copse is on your left after this point.
Please do not exceed 15 mph on the tracks.
- The west boundary (DE) is marked by white-topped posts.
- The north boundary (EF) is a stock fence at the edge of the mature woodland.
- The northeast boundary (FG) is a stock fence at the field edge.
- The southeast boundary (GH) is a narrow ride marked by blue-topped posts.
- The southwest boundary (DH) is the southwest side of the hard track.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times for all purposes over the route XYZABCD. A right of way is reserved to others over the route DH.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way, with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in the woodland.
There are no known fencing obligations.
Third Party Rights
An overage (clawback) agreement ending in 2044 exists whereby 20% of the increase in the value of the land attributable to securing planning permission for use or development (other than for agriculture or forestry) is payable to a previous owner.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.