Turkey Hill, Windlestone, nr. Bishop Auckland, Co Durham. 7.04 acres of mature mixed broadleaves for £68,000 (freehold) [#A1466]
A superb stand-alone wood of mixed broadleaves on level ground set amidst gently rolling countryside.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 93
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: NZ 265 290
- Centre of wood: NZ 268 292
Nearest postcode: DL17 0LY
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Turkey Hill lies within Windlestone Estate, the childhood home of the former Prime Minister Anthony Eden. The wood occupies level ground and is surrounded by open arable fields on all sides. The A1(M) is 3 miles away giving easy access to Durham (20 minutes) and Newcastle (40 minutes). The historic market town of Bishop Auckland is 4 miles to the west.
Turkey Hill presents a rare opportunity to acquire a quality stand-alone deciduous wood of generous proportion. The mature stems are well spaced giving a light and airy feel, and the broad variety of species present combine to make a robust mix in the face of climate change. Birch, sycamore and ash dominate, interspersed with oak, Scots pine and larch. There are also a number of sizeable black poplar, a few horse chestnuts, and the occasional elm. Beneath this are pockets of holly, a modest amount of young regeneration, and a few shrubs.
Access is via a hard track (largely tarmac) from Windlestone Lane leading into the southwest corner of the wood. Thanks to level terrain and the lack of entangling ground vegetation, access within the wood is excellent to all areas.
It’s hard to find fault with this wood!
If It Were Mine
I might extend the hard track a short distance into the wood to provide in-wood parking.
Occasional small group felling (especially where young regeneration is evident) would diversify the age structure and give a plentiful supply of logs. I might also apply under Permitted Development for consent to erect a small store.
The woodland floor is for the most part dry underfoot, but a couple of damp depressions might be developed to create more permanent ponds.
Camping, barbeques and quiet recreation are all self-evident!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Leave the A1(M) at junction 60 (about 9 miles south of Durham) and head west on the A689.
- After 2 miles go straight over two consecutive roundabouts and continue west for another mile.
- Turn right into Windlestone Lane (identified by a sign for Windlestone Nurseries).
- The access track to the wood is a tarmac drive about 150m down on your right (X on the plan).
- Please park clear of the driveway which is in regular use and walk about 160 metres along the drive (leaving the house at the end to your right) to enter the wood at A.
- The field edge boundaries (ABCDE) are believed to be the old fence lines near the woodland edge.
- The boundary to the rear of the house (AE) is the edge of the garden (unfenced).
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are reserved to a previous owner.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times for all purposes over the route XA.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way within the wood.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.