Little Wood, Windlestone, nr. Bishop Auckland, Co Durham. Mature broadleaves with road frontage. 0.59 acres for £9,000 (freehold) [#A1448]
A stand-alone pocket wood in attractive countryside with a healthy variety of species.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 93
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside access: NZ 265 290
- Centre of wood: NZ 265 290
Nearest postcode: DL17 0LY
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Little Wood lies within Windlestone Estate, the childhood home of the former Prime Minister Anthony Eden. It occupies level and undulating ground amidst a mosaic of fields and other woods, fronting a minor lane and the A689. The A1(M) is 3 miles away giving easy access to Durham (20 minutes) and Newcastle (40 minutes). The historic market town of Bishop Auckland is 4 miles to the west.
This pocket-sized wood supports a surprising variety of species in its modest acreage including some substantial mature stems. Elm, lime, sycamore, oak, birch, poplar, ash, yew and cherry are all present, while the shrub layer below includes hawthorn, holly and elder. The woodland floor is largely clear of entangling vegetation giving access to most areas.
Access is taken directly off Windlestone Lane via a small unsurfaced track leading into the wood.
Little Wood is small, fun and affordable, offering an ideal entry into woodland ownership.
Note: The Windlestone Nursery sign at the southeast corner can be removed prior to completion of a sale.
If It Were Mine
I might single out some of the stems for a little firewood and perhaps clear a site for the occasional BBQ or night under the stars.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Leave the A1(M) at junction 60 (about 9 miles south of Durham) and head west on the A689.
- After 2 miles go straight over two consecutive roundabouts and continue west for another mile.
- Turn right into Windlestone Lane (identified by a sign for Windlestone Nurseries).
- Little Wood is immediately on your left. Please park where safe to do so.
- The west boundary (AB) is the field edge stock fence.
- The north boundary (BC) is the wooden garden fence on the south side of the drive.
- The east boundary (CD) is the verge of Windlestone Lane.
- The south boundary (AD) is an old post and rail fence.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are reserved to a previous owner.
Rights Of Way
- Access is taken directly off Windlestone Lane.
- There are no public rights of way within the wood.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.