Clennell’s Wood, Widdrington, Northumberland. Mature mixed woodland near the end of a private track about 20 minutes north of Morpeth. 2.74 acres freehold for £27,500 [#A1444]
Attractive mixed broadleaves and a small stand of mature spruce with excellent access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 81
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Entrance off public road (X): NZ 227 946
- Centre of wood: NZ 214 933
Nearest postcode: NE61 5DW
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Clennell’s Wood lies at the end of a long track on the south side of an island of mature woodland which is surrounded by wide open agricultural fields. Rothbury is about 20 minutes to the north and Morpeth a similar distance to the south. Newcastle is about 45 minutes by car.
The wood lies on level and gently undulating ground overlooking grazing land to the south and fronting attractive mature woodland to other compass points. Tranquillity is pretty much assured in this private location, and the wider woodland has become something of a refuge for wildlife. Roe deer, badgers and bats are all resident and the wood is invariably alive with birdsong. We also saw pheasant and woodcock and heard lapwing and curlew in adjacent fields.
A small stand of spruce (about 1/3 acre) fronts the track on the north side of the wood. These clean straight stems are of good form and are nearing maturity with the promise of some attractive timber.
The larger part of the wood behind the conifers supports a range of broadleaves and shrubs with an attractive mix of oak, rowan and willow within a mosaic of birch of varying density giving rise to small glades between denser areas of woodland. Occasional elm are also present.
A shrub layer consisting primarily of elder, snow-berry, hawthorn and a lonely holly overlies a rich ground flora (confirming its status as ancient semi-natural woodland) including soft grasses, fern, dog's mercury, bluebells and wood sorrel.
The woods are served by a substantial and well-proven track from the public road. This connects with a newly constructed track in the wider woodland suitable for 2WD, leading to a private parking spur at the northeast corner of the wood.
This rather special little wood packs a surprising amount of diversity, combining rich habitats with potential small-scale timber harvesting in a most attractive location.
If It Were Mine
The conifers are nearing maturity so thinning or felling is an option in the not-too-distant future. Clearing a small glade near the field edge for quiet recreation would also be on the to-do list. And a little bracken control in the southwest corner wouldn’t go amiss.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head north out of Morpeth on the A197.
- One mile after Ulgham (and just before entering the village of Widdrington Station), turn left onto the unclassified road signed for Stobswood and Felton.
- Drive for exactly one mile and then turn left through double gates onto a hard track (X on the plan). The gate is opposite a parking area and adjacent to a lone ash tree. PLEASE ENSURE THE GATE IS LEFT CLOSED.
- Drive south between open fields on the track for 500 metres, then turn first right (Y – shortly after some wooden railing over a culvert).
- Continue west for 1,000 metres and then take the first left turn (Z).
- Continue south for a further 500 metres then turn right (A at the corner of young woodland), then left after 120 metres onto the new stone track at (B).
- Continue for a further 250 metres to enter mature woodland (C) by a Woods4Sale sign.
- Follow the track ahead for 200 metres until you are faced with mature conifers (D).
- Clennell’s Wood is now ahead of you.
Please do not exceed 15 mph on the tracks.
- The southwest boundary (GH) is marked by white-topped posts.
- The northwest boundary (DH) is marked by orange-topped posts.
- The northeast boundary (DE) is the southwest side of the track.
- The east boundary (EF) is marked by blue-topped posts.
- The southeast boundary (FG) is the outer field edge stock fence.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over the route XYZABCDE.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way, with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in the woodland.
There are no known fencing obligations.
Third Party Rights
An overage (clawback) agreement ending in 2044 exists whereby 20% of the increase in the value of the land attributable to securing planning permission for use or development (other than for agriculture or forestry) is payable to a previous owner.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.