Horse Wood, Coalburns, Tyne & Wear. Attractive mixed broadleaf & conifer wood with private track, 30 minutes from Newcastle. 5.4 acres for £32,000 (freehold) [#A1426]
Full canopy beech and pole stage conifer stands overlooking rolling farmland with excellent access.
Tyne and Wear
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 88
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: NZ 118 601
- Centre of wood: NZ 115 603
Nearest postcode: NE42 5NR
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Horse Wood sits in a peaceful rural location at the end of a private gated track on gently sloping ground with a westerly aspect adjoining other woodland.
The wood is located about a mile from Coalburns (near Prudhoe), with easy access to Hexham, about 12 miles to the west, and Newcastle 9 miles to the east, both a 30 minute drive via the A1 or A69.
The wood hosts stems of mixed ages and species, including conifer stands of pole stage larch and spruce, as well as broadleaves; notably mature full-canopy beech to the south and west edges, scattered ash, birch, cherry, and rowan as well as a number of long established oaks, ash, and Scots pine.
Woody shrubs including holly, hawthorn, and gorse can be found dispersed along the woodland edge, while on the woodland floor where dappled sunlight lands are areas adorned with ferns, woodland flowers and soft grasses.
On crossing one of the seasonal watercourses a picnic table sits below the elegant beech canopy – a lovely place to relax, watch wildlife, or set up camp for the night. The grassy glades adjacent are frequented by roe deer, while other residents range from hares and foxes, to pheasant and songbirds.
This diverse and enchanting woodland has wide appeal with its mix of stems, wildlife and amenity credentials.
If It Were Mine
I might thin the conifers in places, including those adjacent to the broadleaves.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Leave the A1 at junction 73 - onto the A694, (following signs for Blaydon) and continue straight over the two roundabouts into the A695.
- Continue 4 miles along the A695 (following signs for Prudhoe) and exit onto the B6315 signposted to Rowlands Gill and Greenside.
- Continue for 1 mile (up Woodside Lane B6315) until you arrive at the traffic lights and T junction, and turn right into the centre of Greenside village.
- After 130 metres fork right on Lead Road signposted to Chopwell.
- Continue 1 mile to Coalburns (passing the Fox & Hounds pub on your right).
- Continue a final 1.2 miles from the pub and take a sharp right across the road into the recessed field gate area (A on the plan).
- Park outside the field gate keeping clear of all field entrances, and ensuring that gates are securely closed.
- Walk down the track through the field for 300 metres to the woodland gate (B on the plan).
- Climb the gate and Horse Wood is on your right.
Sorry, but we do not give out keys for viewing.
Safety Note: Due to historic mining activity in the wider woodland there may be unknown entrances and fissures which are not visible on the surface. There is no definitive plan of mining activity. Please take extra care when viewing.
- The southwest boundary (BC) is the southwest side of the track.
- The west boundary (CD) is the east side of the track and (DE) a line of orange topped posts.
- The northeast boundary (EF) is the woodland stock fence.
- The east boundary (BF) is the field edge stock fence.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are not included.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way within the wood.
- There is a right of way at all times for all purposes over the route AB and CD.
- A right of way is reserved to others over the route BC.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
Third Party Rights
The Coal Authority has the right to maintain and renew any service conduits that may cross the land. Please contact the agent for more details.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.