South Wingates Wood, Longhorsley, Northumberland. 4.44 acres of maturing broadleaf woodland with conifer elements for £37,000 (freehold) [#A1352]
An extensive easily-managed mixed woodland in quiet countryside just east of Northumberland National Park.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 81
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate (X): NZ 115 965
- Centre of wood: NZ 113 959
Nearest postcode: NE65 8RH
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Aside from a slope at the east end, the majority of South Wingates Wood occupies level ground on the southern edge of a larger gated woodland just outside Northumberland National Park, midway between Morpeth and Rothbury. The A1 is 5 miles away giving easy access to Newcastle which is some 40 minutes to the south.
South Wingates was felled of its previous conifer crop about 15 years ago. The majority of the restocking was achieved by natural regeneration resulting in an attractive mosaic dominated by birch with a significant peppering of larch and Sitka spruce. Other species present include rowan and willow, plus a few large oak and ash on the field edges.
With suitable management the crops will develop into attractive maturing stands with opportunity to steer the direction of development to conifer or broadleaf as preferred. With privacy assured, broad southerly views and silvicultural opportunity, South Wingates is an attractive package.
If It Were Mine
Thanks to plentiful regeneration the stands would benefit from respacing which will improve stem form and enhance the associated flora through increasing light to the woodland floor. I would particularly focus this near the watercourse to create dapple shade and benefit the stream’s ecology.
There’s also a glade towards the east side which would be ideal for pitching a tent.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Longhorsley lies 6 miles northwest of Morpeth on the A 697.
- Leave Longhorsley heading west on West Road.
- After 1¼ miles turn right, where the road take a sharp left hand bend (by the entrance to Forget-Me-Not Country Park).
- Continue north on this road for a further 1¼ miles until you cross a ford (usually dry).
- The access to the wood is via the second gateway on your left after the ford - a distance of about ¼ mile (X on the plan).
- Please park safely nearby and clear of all farm gateways.
- Climb the field gate (X) and follow the stone track along the field edge for 350 metres to double field gates leading into woodland (A).
- Climb the gates and continue on the stone track straight ahead for 350 metres, over a small stream past a left turn (B).
- Continue on this track to C then bear left and continue to D and on to E. This is the start of the wood.
- Sorry, but we do not give out keys for viewing.
- The south boundary is the field edge stock fence.
- The southwest boundary is the field edge stock fence.
- The north boundary is the mid-line of the stream.
- The east boundary is the inside edge of the unsurfaced track.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way over the route XABCDE with shared maintenance according to use.
- There are no public rights of way within the wood.
Field-edge fences are the responsibility of the woodland owner.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.