Nimbus Wood, Stocksfield, Northumberland. Mature broadleaf woodland at the end of a private track just half an hour from Newcastle city centre. 5.14 acres for £29,000 (freehold) [#A1349]
Open stands of birch, oak and other native species in a secluded location overlooking farmland.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 88
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Entrance (A): NZ 082 611
- Centre of wood: NZ 097 605
Nearest postcode: NE42 5PD
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Nimbus Wood sits at the end of a long private woodland track on the east edge of a substantial woodland known as Hyons Wood, about a mile south of Prudhoe. Hexham is about 10 miles to the northwest and Newcastle a similar distance to the east. Both are easily reached in half an hour via the A69.
The wood lies on level and gently sloping ground on the south side of a shallow valley above the Stanley Burn (a small tributary of the Tyne). There are wide views over farmland and woods to the east, open grazing land above to the south and woodland to other compass points.
Apart from occasional dimples on the ground and the old tub-line railway (now the main access track) there is little to suggest that this green haven was once a hive of mining activity. Mature oak and birch dominate the stands, mingling with a variety of other hardwoods such as beech, willow, alder and rowan. Beneath this there is a scattering of shrubs including holly, hazel, hawthorn and blackthorn.
The woodland is easily walked. Lower down the ground flora is composed of soft grasses interspersed with patches of bluebell, dog’s mercury, wild garlic, honeysuckle and wood sorrel (to name but a few). Plenty of seasonal colour and scent here. Further up the vegetation tends to moorland grasses beneath the more widely spaced birch stems.
The wood is served by a well-found hard track (suitable for 2WD access). This links to a substantial hard path running up the east side giving good management access to the rest of the wood.
If you want a spacious and affordable parcel of wild woodland, then Nimbus is certainly worth an early look.
If It Were Mine
I’d be inclined to boost the species range by planting a variety of natives in woodland gaps, and encourage regeneration of oak where possible. Some of the more open stands invite the occasional night under canvas and there’s plenty of fallen wood for the campfire.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head west out of Prudhoe on the A695 for ½ mile to the village of Mickley Square.
- Turn left in the middle of the village onto Eastgate Bank.
- Continue south up the hill for 0.9 mile, passing through the hamlet of High Mickley.
- Turn left at the T junction just after the village.
- Drive east for 200 metres then turn first right into an area of hard standing, parking clear of the steel barrier (A on the plan). Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Walk south down the track beyond the steel barrier for 800 metres to the woodland gate (B).
- Enter the woodland via the personnel gate (B) and continue on the main central track (swinging east) for 1,300 metres to its end (D). Nimbus Wood is now on your right.
- Nimbus Wood is over a mile from the public road. A bicycle may assist viewing access.
- Safety Note: Due to historic mining activity in the wider woodland there may be unknown entrances and fissures which are not visible on the surface. There is no definitive plan of mining activity. Please take extra care when viewing.
- The east boundary (DEF) is a field-edge stock fence.
- The south boundary (FG) is a field-edge stock fence.
- The west boundary (CG) is the line of a gully marked periodically by blue-topped posts.
- The short north boundary (CD) is the south side of the track.
The sporting rights are owned & included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are not included. Please click on the button below for more details.
Rights Of Way
- A right of access is granted for all purposes over the track ABCD with maintenance according to use.
- There is a public footpath EF and bridleway CE.
There is an obligation to maintain the south boundary fence in stock-proof condition. It has recently been repaired.
Third Party Rights
- A right is reserved to Harworth Estates to enter with plant and machinery to carry out environmental tests and geological surveys.
- An overage (clawback) agreement exists whereby 50% of the increase in the value of the land attributable to securing certain types of planning permission is payable to Harworth Estates.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.