Hawk Wood, Thorpe Salvin, near Sheffield. Approximately 4.9 acres of beech woodland for £45,000 (freehold) [#M1218]
An attractive beech woodland growing on a flat site with good access in a peaceful location. The woodland is off a quiet county lane, 2 miles from the M1 motorway and 10 miles from Sheffield and includes full sporting rights.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 120
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SK 512 807
- Centre of wood: SK 512 808
Nearest postcode: S80 3JR
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Hawk Wood is a mature beech wood about 50 years old, it is set within a larger Ancient Woodland that has existed since records began in the 1600s. The sale of this wood offers a great opportunity to buy a piece of beautiful woodland for amenity and for timber production.
The wood has never been thinned so contains a high number of trees that would benefit from a thinning to allow those remaining trees to increase in diameter.
You will enter Hawk Wood from the quiet country lane, through a locked gate and along a shared hard stoned track that runs along the south boundary. Walking through the trees you can appreciate the quality of the trees that have grown straight and slender. Under foot it is clear and easy to walk through as the canopy of the beech trees shades out most other vegetation.
The woodland sits on a flat site and the ground is fertile light mineral soils ideal for beech trees, as evidenced by their excellent quality. The wood is surrounded by other woodlands on three sides, with a short walled boundary to the north.
Hawk Wood is a joy to visit throughout the seasons. In autumn, the leaves of the beech display a show of orange and brown hues. In spring and summer the wood comes alive with bright green leaves filtering the sunlight above and a scattering of bluebells can be found underfoot.
A woodland such as this offers a wealth of opportunity, whether to extract some woodfuel, for carrying out woodland crafts or just for a weekend retreat. Such an interesting, well-located property as this is a real gem.
If It Were Mine
The beech would benefit from a 30% thinning to allow the remaining trees to put on more diameter. This should be done to favour the best quality trees whilst keeping a close eye on the squirrel population.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the M1 junction 31, take the A57 in the direction of Worksop. After 1 mile go straight through the traffic lights.
- After another mile enter the village of Anston. Just as you enter the residential area fork right onto Sheffield Road.
- Continue for about ¼ mile and then turn right at the Leeds Arms pub (opposite two churches).
- After 1 mile turn left over a level crossing at Kiveton Park Station.
- Follow this road as it narrows into a small country road.
- After ¾ mile go straight over the cross roads onto a road signed for Whitwell.
- After 300 metres you will reach the woodland on your left hand side. Park in the gateway where you will see our Woods4Sale sign.
- Climb the gate (sorry we do not supply keys for viewing) and follow the track for 200 metres, Hawk Wood is on your left hand side (point B on the plan).
- The northeast boundary is indicated by green paint on wooden posts and trees.
- The southeast boundary is indicated by red paint on wooden posts and trees.
- The northwest boundary is indicated by blue paint on wooden posts and trees.
- The south boundary is the low earth bund with fields beyond.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route AB on the plan below.
- A right of way is reserved over the route BC for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.