Badger Wood, Thorpe Salvin, near Sheffield. approximately 8.5 acres beech woodland for £72,000 (freehold) [#M1217]
Superb semi-mature beech woodland, a flat site with good access in a peaceful location. The woodland is off a quiet country lane, 2 miles from the M1 motorway and 10 miles from Sheffield and includes full sporting rights.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 120
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SK 512 807
- Centre of wood: SK 511 808
Nearest postcode: S80 3JR
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Badger Wood forms part of an Ancient Woodland which was replanted about 50 years ago. Planted with predominantly beech, the trees are growing well on the fertile magnesium limestone soils. The trees are dense in number with both ash and sycamore scattered throughout this rich and vibrant site.
The land is completely flat apart from a few depressions in the ground where it is presumed stone was once extracted to build the walls that make up the wider boundaries. There is excellent access off the quiet lane, through a locked gate and along a hard surfaced track. To the south there is woodland, to the north beyond the stone wall there are agricultural fields and a peaceful country road lies to the west.
The woodland has a rich biodiversity; a chance hare or mouse can be seen, along with numerous birds including the grey partridge, woodcock, woodpecker, tree sparrow, buzzard and even a shy goshawk. In spring the ground is covered in a carpet of bluebells, at other times of the year the ground below is clear and easy to walk through as the beech tree canopy restricts most other vegetation.
The woodland is situated 2 miles from the M1 motorway and 10 miles from Sheffield and is a beautiful example of a typical English beech wood. The purchase of this wood presents the opportunity to harvest a substantial amount of firewood and is a stunning setting for camping weekends under the stars.
A woodland such as this offers a wealth of opportunity; the current owners have been carefully working to extract some woodfuel and carrying out woodland crafts. Such an interesting, well-located property as this is a real gem.
If It Were Mine
The beech would benefit from a 30% thinning to allow the remaining trees to put on more diameter. This should be done to favour the best quality trees whilst keeping a close eye on the squirrel population.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the M1 junction 31, take the A57 in the direction of Worksop. After 1 mile go straight through the traffic lights.
- After another mile enter the village of Anston. Just as you enter the residential area fork right onto Sheffield Road.
- Continue for about ¼ mile and then turn right at the Leeds Arms pub (opposite two churches).
- After 1 mile turn left over a level crossing at Kiveton Park Station.
- Follow this road as it narrows into a small country road.
- After ¾ mile go straight over the cross roads onto a road signed for Whitwell.
- After 300 metres you will reach the woodland on your left hand side. Park in the gateway where you will see our Woods4Sale sign.
- Climb the gate (sorry we do not supply keys for viewing) Badger Wood starts immediately inside the gate on your left hand side (point A on the plan).
- The southern boundary is indicated by posts with blue painted tops along the edge of the track.
- The eastern boundary is the centre of the ride indicated by posts with red painted tops.
- The western boundary is a stone wall along the edge of the road.
- The northern boundary is the stone wall along the edge of the field.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
These are owned and included in the sale except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a public footpath that runs along the west and north boundaries of Badger Wood.
- There is a right reserved for the benefit of the woodland beyond over the route AB.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- The full contact details (full name, address & phone number) and date of birth of the legal purchaser(s)
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.