Horse Close Wood. Attractive mixed broadleaves in a rural landscape near Durham. 5.84 acres for £49,500 (freehold) [#A1033]
Easily accessed mature amenity woodland of mixed species on level ground with extensive road frontage.
OS Landranger map: Sheet 93.
National Grid Ref:
- Access point: NZ 380 350.
- Centre of wood: NZ 379 351.
Nearest postcode: TS29 6LS.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Horse Close Wood lies in a rural landscape about 1½ miles northeast of the village of Trimdon. The historic city of Durham and the Durham Heritage Coast are both about 20 minutes by car, and the A1(M) is just 15 minutes away giving easy access from north and south.
Horse Close occupies near-level ground amidst a mosaic of fields, woods and hedges with extensive frontage to a minor public road on its east side.
The wood carries no formal conservation designations but has many of the hallmarks of an ancient native-species woodland. Scattered open-canopy oak protect a diverse mixed-age understorey of emerging trees and shrubs including beech, ash, sycamore and elm along with the occasional yew. Hazel, holly and hawthorn complete the picture. Apart from a light presence of bramble the woodland floor is essentially clear of entangling vegetation making for easy walking over most of the site amidst scattered ferns and soft grasses.
Accessible and attractive, this amenity property offers a wide range of sylvan pleasures from timber production and woodland conservation to quiet enjoyment.
If It Were Mine
I’d re-establish the gated entrance at the southeast corner and then look at respacing some of the younger stems, gaining improved access across the wood in the process.
I’d also look at some bird and owl boxes to further enrich the bio-diversity.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the crossroads in Trimdon head east on Front Street (opposite the ‘88 Takeaway’).
- Continue for just under ½ mile, then fork left onto Horse Close Lane (shortly after the Red Lion public house).
- Continue for ¾ mile. The wood is located on your left about 100 metres after a sharp left-hand bend.
- A path at the southeast corner (point A on the plan) gives access to the wood.
- The south boundary (AB) is the old field-edge stock fence.
- The west boundary (BC) is believed to be the east side of the footpath.
- The north boundary (CD) is marked by red-topped posts.
- The east boundary (AD) is the verge of the public road.
The sporting rights are included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are included except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
A public footpath runs along the western boundary.
There are no known fencing obligations.
Third Party Rights:
An overage provision exists until 2037 whereby 50% of the increase of the value of the land attributable to securing planning permission for any change of use will be payable to a previous owner.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.