Cobble Wood. 2.61 acres of mixed hardwoods near Doncaster in South Yorkshire for £31,000 (freehold) [#A1028]
An attractive and accessible stand of mature and maturing hardwoods on level and gently sloping ground, near the centre of Scabba Wood, just outside the attractive village of Sprotbrough.
OS Landranger map: Sheet 111.
National Grid Ref:
- Viewer parking: SE 531 015.
- Centre of wood: SE 527 016.
Nearest postcode: DN5 7SG.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Cobble Wood lies within a private gated forest between the attractive villages of Sprotbrough and Cadeby. The A1(M) and M18 motorways are close by and Doncaster is just 15 minutes to the east, yet thanks to surrounding farmland and other woodland it is peaceful and private.
The wood is almost entirely level and lies near the middle of a well-established and sizeable forest, a short distance west of Sprotbrough. The wider wood is almost entirely surrounded by fields and consequently Cobble Wood is something of a haven.
The stand is a pleasing mix of mature and maturing ash, sycamore and occasional beech above a scattered understorey of regenerating saplings and woody shrubs. The trees generally exhibit good form and would yield some quality lumber, whilst sub-dominant stems and deadwood should keep a hearth amply supplied.
The ground flora hosts a number of flowers including bluebell, honeysuckle, and wood anemone along with woodland associates like dog’s mercury, bramble and fern. The amenity is further enhanced by a number of small pools near the south end of the wood. The wider wood is host to a variety of animals and birds including badgers, owls, woodpeckers, buzzards and roe deer plus a good range of woodland songbirds.
The wood is reached by a recently upgraded car-accessible track fronting two sides of the wood, and (aside from patches of bramble) the woodland floor is generally ‘clean’, giving good internal access too.
Easy access, a variety of management options, some timber output, and a green refuge with abundant wildlife all await the new owner.
If It Were Mine
I’d give the wood a light thin, favouring the best stems. In the future I might consider linking some of the pools to create a bigger pond.
Please remember that some woodland operations require consent.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Sprotbrough is about 2 miles west of Doncaster just west of the A1(M). The nearest exit is junction 36.
- From the church at the centre of Sprotbrough head southwest on the Cadeby Road for 0.6 miles to the bottom of the hill.
- The entrance to the wood is on your right, opposite the turning to Nursery Lane.
- Please park by the timber railing on the left side, leaving the entrance clear as vehicles need to access the property at all times.
- Continue on foot over the metal gate marked with a Red Rock Forestry sign (A) into the wood.
- Keep straight on for 375m until the track forks by a single yew tree (B).
- Cobble Wood is now on your right.
Please note we do not give out keys for viewing. Purchasers will be given keys for vehicular access on completion of purchase.
- The north and northwest boundaries (CDE) are marked by blue-topped posts.
- The east boundary (BE) is the east side of the track.
- The southwest boundary (BC) is the southwest side of the track.
The sporting rights are included and are not let.
Although the minerals rights are reserved to another party, the woodland owner has absolute control over whether they are ever exercised.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of access for all purposes over the hard track AB.
- A right of access is reserved to others over the routes BC and BE.
- Maintenance of shared tracks is according to use.
There are no fencing obligations.
Tree Preservation Order
Cobble Wood is the subject of a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). A TPO does not prevent felling or other woodland management but does require the consent of the Local Planning Authority.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.