Rectory Wood, Tal y Llyn, North Wales. 8.51 acres of mixed woodland £42,500 (freehold) [#E900]
A mixed woodland in a stunning location on the slopes of Cadair Idris, next to a beautiful lake. Comprising of mainly oak, beech and Douglas fir and benefiting from an internal hard track and turning area.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 124.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SH 710 096.
- Centre of wood: SH 710 097.
Nearest postcode: LL36 9AQ.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Rectory Wood stands at the foothills of Cadair Idris Mountain in the valley of Tal-y-Llyn, one of the classic beauty spots in Wales. The surrounding landscape is breathtaking - this woodland is well worth a visit simply to enjoy stunning views over Llyn Mwyngil.
The woodland lies on the edge of a much larger forest, which is classified as an Ancient Woodland, having been recorded as woodland since at least the year 1600. The whole of the forest area is also inside the Cadair Idris ‘Site of Special Scientific Interest’, designated as such because of many biological, geological and geomorphological features. To find out more about the SSSI, click on the link below.
Rectory Wood contains a mixture of trees, much of which is mid-rotation Douglas fir and beech. Just below the gate into the woodland there is a small area of mature broadleaves, which is relatively flat and only a few metres (the width of the road) away from the edge of the lake.
There are several groups of oak trees scattered through the woodland, primarily Quercus petraea (native Welsh oak) but also quite a few red oak, which give a wonderful contrast of colours in the autumn. There are several species of fern in the understorey, such as hard shield and broad buckler fern. Other understorey plants include bilberry and wood sorrel.
Access to Rectory Wood is directly from the council road. Inside the woodland gate is a short length of hard track, culminating in a small turning area.
If It Were Mine
The conifer could be thinned sometime in the next few years, or alternatively, a proposal to remove the conifers and replace them with site native broadleaves is likely to be well supported by Natural Resources Wales.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the A487 Dolgellau – Machynlleth road, take the B4405 west towards Tal-y-Llyn and Abergynolwyn.
- You will soon come to Tal-y-Llyn Lake on your right.
- At the end of the lake you will come to a pub called the Pen y Bont Hotel with a minor road leading off to the right in front of the pub.
- Turn right down this road and continue for 270 metres until you see our ‘For Sale’ sign on your left.
- This is point A on the plan below and the gate into Rectory Wood.
- The northwest boundary is the stone wall with grazing land above.
- The southwest boundary is indicated by wooden posts with red painted tops.
- The southeast boundary is the stone wall along the edge of the agricultural field.
- The northeast boundary is an agricultural fence running up the slope next to the stream valley.
The woodland comes with the benefit of full sporting rights.
These are included in the sale, except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
A bridle way runs along the access track.
There are no fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.