Dolrhyd Wood, Llanfair Caereinion, near Welshpool. An exceptional mature broadleaved woodland with river frontage and fishing rights 9.36 acres for £115,000 (freehold) [#M1630]
Characterful, mature oak and sycamore woodland along the banks of the River Banwy, within easy reach of Shrewsbury and Newtown.
SY21 9ED (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 125
- Roadside access: SJ 116 075
- Centre of wood: SJ 115 075
Dolrhyd Wood sits on the south side of a valley alongside the river Banwy. Set in a rural location with a fantastic aspect this wood will be attractive to anglers and woodland folk alike. Diverse and densely populated with oak, sycamore, cherry, ash and with hazel in abundance, this wood is a delightful prospect for silviculturists. Such a wide selection of tree species in an undisturbed location brings with it a profusion of flora and fauna. Bluebells delight the eyes in spring, followed by the scent of honeysuckle on a summer morning, and as autumn lingers, the myriad of leaf colour is an indicator of the cooler months.
Entering the wood from the quiet side road there is a layby at one end and a gateway at the other, providing good options for vehicular access. Slightly elevated in its position, you will descend slowly along either the trodden path or an old tractor track. Along the river there is an established path providing good access points to the water from the bank. There is a beautiful section of pebble shoreline allowing the angler to wade out to different sections of the water. This area could also be used as a portage point of access, or is perfect for stone-skimming and a great place to watch the wildlife on the river.
Dolrhyd Wood is in a quiet setting amongst grazed pasture land, the only disturbance is the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway steam train that infrequently passes on the opposite side of the river.
Woodlands such as this are rare to the marketplace – Dolrhyd Wood is easy to get to with good regional A roads, and with fishing on the river, mature broadleaves and remote location, we don’t think it will be on our website for long.
If It Were Mine
Not a wood to exploit but to delight in, one could just enjoy as it is. However a deck over the river bank would be a wonderful place to enjoy some brunch whilst dropping a line in the water.
Treewise, I’d look at felling a few disadvantaged trees, thus allowing saplings to emerge. I’d create a few deadwood piles and possibly a small area to season firewood.
Oh… and a swing over the river is a must!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Leave Welshpool head west on A458.
- Keep straight on to A458 for nearly 8 miles then take the narrow left turn at Cyfrongdd to the narrow gauge railway station.
- Go over the level crossing and turn right at the farm on the junction.
- Follow the minor road until you come to the entrance of the wood on the right where there is a layby and a Woods4Sale sign.
- Park here safely without obstruction.
The boundaries are clearly indicated with hedge and livestock fence.
- The sporting rights for Dolrhyd Wood are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
- The single bank fishing rights on the river Banwy immediately adjacent to and along the border of Dolrhyd Woods are included in the sale, but the owners of Eithinog Hall will retain equal fishing rights and access along the river bank through Dolrhyd Woods.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way inside this wood.
- A right is reserved for the owners of Eithinog Hall to walk through the wood to access the river up and downstream from the wood.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.