White Cliff Wood (Coed Clogwyn) 14.08 acres of mixed woodland with mature Douglas in a delightful position a mile from Ruthin in North Wales. £56,000 (leasehold) [#M1573]
A mix of pole stage native hardwoods and mature Douglas set on the edge of a remote forest with excellent hard stoned access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 116
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SJ 121 573
- Centre of wood: SJ 113 562
Nearest postcode: LL15 2NR
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Centre of wood: ///widgets.reclining.panther
White Cliff Wood is located on the edge of a much larger wood in a very quiet and private location just outside the Welsh town of Ruthin. Originally the woodland was part of the Ruthin Castle Estate and managed by the Forestry Commission.
Access to the wood is via a long hard stoned track that winds through the wider forest known as Castle Wood. This is a very remote and secluded section of the larger wood and has delightful views opening over the rolling countryside.
The woodland offers two distinct tree covers; the south section is well stocked with highly prized Douglas fir that are at a mature age suitable for harvest. The northern section is pole stage mixed broadleaves that could provide a substantial source of firewood. The species found here include beech, ash, chestnut, oak, birch, hazel and rowan. There is also a number of yew, an indicator of very old woodland.
The wood is sloping to the west and has small limestone cliffs providing fantastic viewing points and rustic places to camp well away from any disturbance. The cliffs are also a great scrambling faces for those vertical adventures. At the top of the hill the boundary is marked by a huge stone wall that once formed part of the estate boundary.
White Cliff Wood would be the perfect choice for those wanting to own a larger woodland with opportunities for management, timber production, firewood production along with camping and/or other recreational activities.
This is a leasehold property with 931 years remaining. The rent has been paid in full for the whole term of the lease.
If It Were Mine
I would look to harvest the conifer at some point in the next 10 years. I would also create a camping spot at the foot of one of the cliffs. It could be a great place to position a beehive and sample the local nectar!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Ruthin town centre follow signs for Bala on the A494.
- About 800 metres from the last mini roundabout on the edge of the town you will see double steel gates on your right hand side. Just inside the gates is a sign saying “Castle Wood”. These are the main gates to the forest (point A on the plan below).
- Please park here keeping clear of the gates, climb the gate (sorry, we do not provide keys for viewings) and walk along the forest track.
- Follow the track around a couple of bends and turn left (point C)
- Keep walking straight ahead and then keep where the track forks (point D).
- Continue to a wall with the opening (point E) and follow the track to the left until you reach point F.
- This is the start of the wood and is indicated by green paint on wooden posts and trees.
- The east boundary is the wall.
- The south boundary is in part stone wall and agricultural fence.
- The west boundary agricultural fence.
- The north boundary is indicated by green paint on boundary trees and wooden posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are reserved to a previous owner.
Rights Of Way
- A right of way is granted at all times over the track ABCDEF.
- The owner also has a right of way over DWX to gain access to the top of the cliff.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in the wood.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.