Gigrin Prysg, Rhayader, Powys, mid-Wales. 11.8 acres of mature oak woodland with stunning views and a fast-flowing stream. £34,000 (freehold) [#J1435]
Situated less than half a mile from the town of Rhayader, this classic oak woodland has a rich diversity of wildlife bounded by an attractive stream to the north.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 147
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SN 979 672
- Centre of wood: SN 979 671
Nearest postcode: LD6 5BL
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Gigrin Prysg is situated half a mile south of the busy market town of Rhayader, Powys. Conveniently located just off the A470 this attractive wood is situated in a scenic region of mid Wales, which has many local attractions and hiking routes. The nearby farm is a red kite feeding centre and numerous bird species frequent this lovely oak wood. Sightings include buzzard, sparrow hawk, cuckoo, treecreeper, lesser and greater spotted woodpecker and many others.
The property has a sunny westerly aspect, situated at the foot of Gwastedyn Hill. From the wood there are stunning far reaching views across Rhayader and towards the nearby Elan Valley. A small path heads from the access gate over the stream and through the wood. A strategically placed bench situated midway provides an ideal spot to enjoy attractive scenes of the River Wye and surrounding countryside.
This predominately mature sessile oak woodland shows signs of having been coppiced in the distant past. The woodland floor is easily traversed and sparsely adorned with holly, hazel and rowan. On higher ground to the east there is a large strip of open ground, with birch and sycamore on the fringes.
The woodland flora community includes scaly male fern, hard shield fern, bilberry, heather and a rich diversity of mosses and lichens such as wood bristle-moss, rusty feather-moss, and old man’s beard lichen.
If It Were Mine
I would aim to manage this native woodland for conservation and wildlife, the open areas could warrant some new planting and installation of bird and bat boxes would enhance the biodiversity further.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Rhayader follow the A470 south, after ½ mile you will see our ‘For Sale’ sign on the left.
- Park in the layby on the left in a safe place. Enter via the metal gate (point A on the plan below).
- You will see a stream on your right, Gigrin Prysg is beyond.
- The northeast boundary is the centre of the stream.
- All other boundaries are fenced.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are not included.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way marked ABC at all times and all purposes and a right to park at point B.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way within this woodland.
There is a fencing obligation marked XY on the plan below.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.