Tarion Covert, Maeshafn, Denbighshire. Maturing broadleaves at the heart of a larger woodland near the edge of the village. 2.28 acres for £16,500 (freehold) [#A1366]
Beech, ash and oak on the upper reaches of a larger wood in the Clwydian Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 116 & 117
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Entrance (A): SJ 202 609
- Centre of wood: SJ 200 607
Nearest postcode: CH7 5LY
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Tarion Covert occupies an elevated but sheltered position in a larger woodland in the Clwydian Range ‘Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty’, just outside the small village of Maeshafn. Mold is about 15 minutes to the east and Ruthin a similar distance to the west. The A55 dual carriageway is 8 miles to the northeast enabling ready access to and from Manchester and the West Midlands.
Lying near the broad summit ridge lends Tarion Covert a bright open feel. Aside from a low spine outcrop of limestone the terrain is essentially smooth with moderate inclines and gentle slopes running off to northwest and northeast.
The entire wood is populated by maturing broadleaves dominated by beech mixed with a scattering of ash and the occasional oak. The form of the stems is very encouraging suggesting a valuable crop of timber in years to come with the right management.
The woodland floor is a clean carpet of leaves spotted with small patches of bluebell making for easy access to all parts within. A public footpath leads to the village and links with a variety of interesting walks within adjacent woodland. There is a vehicular right of access in from the south which is navigable by 2WD is dry weather.
This attractive entry-level wood is an ideal budget purchase for the woodland starter, or for those attracted to modest silvicultural activity.
If It Were Mine
A light thinning in the denser areas to favour the best stems is an option. At the same time I might open the canopy in one or two areas to enable planting of a wider variety of native species in the gaps. With no shortage of spots for a tent there are plenty of star-gazing opportunities in the surrounding dark skies.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Llanferres lies on the A494 midway between Mold and Ruthin.
- Near a stone bus stop on the north side of Llanferres, head east onto a single track road marked as ‘Unsuitable for heavy good vehicles’.
- Continue for 0.8 mile, rising up a hill through woodland to enter the village of Maeshafn.
- Park in the centre of the village near the red phone box and walk south down the entrance drive to the Miners Arms.
- After the pub and just after some garden sheds (opposite a white cottage) turn right to enter the wider woodland at A. This is a public right of way.
- Follow the path uphill and left for about 300 metres to a fork in the track (C on the plan). Tarion Covert is straight ahead of you.
- Safety Note. The wider woodland has been mined for over 200 years and there may be unknown historic entrances and fissures which are not visible on the surface. There is no definitive plan of mining activity. Please take care when viewing.
- The northwest boundary (CJ) is the southeast side of a soft track indicated by orange-topped posts.
- The northeast boundary (CD) is the northeast side of a path indicated by occasional red spots on trees stems.
- The south boundary (DJ) is marked by a line of blue-topped posts within the wood.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are not included. Please click on the button below for more details.
Rights Of Way
- The wood can be accessed on foot from the village via the public footpath ABC.
- There is a right of access for all purposes over the route EFGHJ.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- There is a public right of way between C & D.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.