Westgate Wood, 3.32 acres of mature broadleaves, Rhewl, near Ruthin, Denbighshire for £31,000 (freehold) [#M1009]
Mature broadleaves with a vigorous mixed species understory, vibrant ground flora and excellent hard road access in the heart of the Vale of Clwyd.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 116.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Visitor parking: SJ 104 600.
- Centre of wood: SJ 101 602.
Nearest postcode: LL15 2UB.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Westgate Wood is part of a mature medal-winning wood noted for the quality of its forest management. The wood lies on level and gently undulating ground and is surrounded by woodland to three sides, with the fourth looking out over the rolling hills of the Vale of Clwyd. The base rich fertile soil particularly favours the broadleaved trees and consequently vigorous growth of the regenerated trees is evident
The upper canopy is abundant with mature ash, the result of many years of careful management. It also has some nice stems of oak, cherry and sycamore with a dense lower canopy of elm, cherry, hazel and ash. Walking amongst the trees a distinct aroma of wild garlic fills the air and there is a rich ground flora; the floor is carpeted with bluebells in spring, whilst primroses, wood anemone, dog rose, soft grasses and a variety of ferns complete the seasonal displays.
Within the wood a small camping site has been set up by the vendor which includes two small sheds and a picnic table.
Access to the wood is along a well constructed hard surfaced track which links to a private parking spur on its northeast boundary. Access is also enhanced by a useful soft ride running along its southern boundary which leads to the property, and which is car accessible in dry weather.
Westgate Wood is a very private wood in a rural location, ideally located with superb access to main link roads within North Wales. It offers an ideal retreat for those seeking outdoor activity whether it be a stroll round the wood, conservation work, crafts or useful woodland management producing a sustainable source of firewood.
If It Were Mine
Westgate Wood presents a fantastic opportunity to nurture the maturing crops into fine stands of trees that will also provide amenity and conservation benefits. I would continue the management by removing any poorly growing and competing trees and would also continue to maintain the paths that have been created within the wood.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the A55 at St Asaph head south on the AA525.
- After Denbigh continue for 4.5 miles to the village of Rhewl.
- Just before the village take the first right track on a bend before a stone cottage, the track starts with a cattle grid and is lined with an avenue of immature lime trees.
- Continue up the hill for 350 metres and into the wood for a further 200 metres.
- Bear right at the fork and shortly after you will see a wooden gate with our Woods4sale sign on it. Park here without blocking access. I’m sorry we do not give out keys for viewing.
- Through the gate and walk for about 300 metres along the track until you come to a large layby (C) on your right, Westgate Wood is on your left.
- The northeast boundary is indicated by white paint on wooden posts set back from the road edge.
- The southeast boundary is indicated by yellow paint on boundary trees and wooden posts.
- The west boundary is the hedge and fence along the field margin.
- The northwest boundary is indicated by blue paint on wooden posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by Statute.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way in this wood.
- A right of way is granted for this wood from the council road up to the woodland boundary (marked ABC on the plan).
- A right of way is reserved over CF for the benefit of the wood beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way.
The field boundary fence (DE) is the responsibility of the woodland owner.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.