Chestnut Grove, near Ironbridge, Telford, Shropshire, mature chestnut Ancient Woodland with car access. 3.05 acres for £38,000 (freehold) [#M1684]
Situated in a superb location, this peaceful Ancient Woodland has abundant wildlife with excellent amenity potential. Benefiting from vehicular access, located close to the Wrekin and Little Wenlock.
TF6 5BS (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 127
- Roadside gate: SJ 662 092
- Centre of wood: SJ 659 094
Chestnut Grove is a charming Ancient Woodland in the county of Shropshire situated within a larger forest, a stone’s throw from Telford and a short ride from the M54.
Accessed by a hard track from a quiet lane, the woodland also benefits from an internal track and a parking layby. This is especially useful for management of the woodland, facilitating convenient 2WD vehicular access. The topography is generally flat but dips away as a shallow valley forms.
The upper canopy of this delightful wood is dominated primarily by mature chestnut with a few oak scattered throughout. There is also birch and an amazing old yew, the understorey is sparce but for a few groves of holly providing some seclusion to an otherwise open wood.
A most notable feature of this Ancient Wood is the flora and fauna. Assorted wildflowers, such as bluebell adorn the woodland floor along with ferns and mosses. Deer are frequently spotted, as are many woodland bird species including a resident kestrel.
This is a decent size wood that provides plenty of opportunity for a weekend woodsman to do a little tree cutting and planting. For nature lovers, this discreet spot is a great to position to hide and snap some of the wildlife in the area.
If It Were Mine
Chestnut Grove is delightful just as it is but I’d put up deer fence around an area that gets a little sun and see what tree saplings emerge, this would protect the floor, enriching the wildflower and butterfly communities. This is a fantastic wood for those looking for an amenity woodland with fabulous opportunities to camp under the stars too.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the PowerStation at Ironbridge A4169 heading north east on Buildwas Road.
- At the roundabout, take 1st exit on to A5223.
- After 0.2 miles at roundabout, take 1st exit After 0.4 miles turn left towards Dog in the Lane.
- After 0.3 miles turn right on to Dog in the Lane.
- After 0.7 miles turn right towards New Works Lane.
- After 0.5 miles turn left on to New Works Lane.
- After 0.5 miles there is a yellow barrier to a carpark on the left (point X on the plan), park here and continue on foot (sorry, we do not give out keys for viewing).
- Follow the track to the side of the carpark for 360 metres bearing right at the junction and to the silver barrier to the wider woodland (point A).
- After 50 metres there is a wooden gate on the left, this is the start of the wood. Please climb the gate.
- The northeast boundary is the outside edge of the track.
- The southeast boundary is the inside edge of the track marked with green paint on timber stakes that may be off-set by a short distance.
- The south boundary is indicated by white paint on timber stakes and on trees.
- The west boundary is indicated by red paint on timber stakes and on trees.
- The northwest boundary is indicated by blue paint on timber stakes and on trees.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
Rights Of Way
- A right of way is granted for this wood from the roadside bollards up to the woodland boundary (marked XABD).
- A right of way is reserved over the route BC for the benefit of the land beyond. This is also a public right of way.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.