Smelting Patch, an oak and chestnut woodland, near Ironbridge, Shropshire with car access. 2.54 acres for £38,000 (freehold) [#M1656]
A charming, mature woodland offering great amenity with excellent access. Located close to the Wrekin and Little Wenlock.
TF6 5BS (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 127
- Roadside gate: SJ 662 092
- Centre of wood: SJ 658 095
Ancient Woodland with an industrial heritage, Smelting Patch is a parcel of mature woodland surrounding a former loading area when coal was once sought. A gated entrance leads to a secluded area which appears to have once had facilities for loading trucks. Now the space is a tranquillity of trees, ferns, bluebells and wildlife. Surrounding this section is a parcel of mature oak and chestnut trees and an abundance of birch, holly and rowan. With glorious stature these trees embody the delight of a typical English woodland, buzzing with life in the spring and glorious colours throughout the warmer months.
Although this is an Ancient Wood, there is plenty of timber potential, the recently expired thinning licence allowed for a 20% thin of the trees to allow for the woodland to regenerate some younger trees, this could easily be re-applied for through the Forestry Commission. The former loading area would make an excellent area for processing harvested timber whether it be for planking or firewood. Alternatively, it would make a great sheltered area for private camping.
Access into the wood is very easy for a 2WD car along a stone track leading from the council road to the inside of the wood. It is also very private with a fence along the outer boundary and a locked gate at the entrance of the wood.
If It Were Mine
I would create a camping deck so that I could easily set up camp and spend summer nights under the stars with the kids. Tree-wise I would identify any suppressed trees and look to encourage them with some light thinning work.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the PowerStation at Ironbridge A4169 heading north east on Buildwas Road.
- At the roundabout, take 1st exit on to A5223.
- After 0.2 miles at roundabout, take 1st exit After 0.4 miles turn left towards Dog in the Lane.
- After 0.3 miles turn right on to Dog in the Lane.
- After 0.7 miles turn right towards New Works Lane.
- After 0.5 miles turn left on to New Works Lane.
- After 0.5 miles there is a yellow barrier to a carpark on the left (point X on the plan), park here and continue on foot (sorry, we do not give out keys for viewing).
- Follow the track to the side of the carpark for 360 metres bearing right at the junction and to the silver barrier to the wider woodland (point A).
- Follow the stone track straight for 190 metres to the locked wooden gate on the left.
- Climb the gate - this is Smelting Patch wood.
- The northeast boundary is the outside edge of the track.
- The southeast boundary is marked with blue paint on timber stakes and on trees.
- The west boundary is marked with red paint on timber stakes and on trees.
- The northwest boundary is marked with white paint on timber stakes and on trees.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over the route XAB.
- A right of way is reserved over the route BC for the benefit of the land beyond, which is also a public footpath.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.