Lookers Hyde, near Ironbridge, Telford, Shropshire, mature deciduous Ancient Woodland with open space and car access. 1.86 acres for £22,000 (freehold) [#M1620]
A charming, characterful woodland with planting opportunities with a slight slope, located close to the Wrekin and Little Wenlock.
TF6 5BS (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 127
- Roadside gate: SJ 662 092
- Centre of wood: SJ 658 096
Lookers Hyde forms part of a larger Ancient Semi Natural Woodland, confirming that there has been continuous tree cover since at least the year 1600. The wood is enhanced by an abundance of native woodland features that would only occur where there has been little tree disturbance.
With good hard track access all the way to the woodland boundary, you will immediately be drawn to an open area of bare shaley earth that would be suitable for planting new trees. Beyond this area the ground dips away and becomes highly populated with native trees - chestnut, birch, maple, oak and rowan are common. There are also ancient woodland species including holly and yew providing dense green in the cooler months.
The flora in this wood is especially abundant in the lower areas, you will find bluebells, primroses, and wild garlic to name a few of the woodland blooms.
The fauna is especially interesting with fallow and roe deer tracks here and there - signs of badger and fox are evident too. Many feathered visitors, including little owl, sparrowhawk, woodpecker and many harmonious songsters enjoy the tranquillity of this location.
The wood is accessible with a 2WD vehicle all year round with locked gates at the entrance, shared with other woodland owners.
If It Were Mine
I would plant a hedge of thorn and hornbeam along the boundary of the open space, then within I would plant mostly birch in the poorer soils with beech and oak in the brown earth. I might also scratch out a camping area for a firepit and seats.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the PowerStation at Ironbridge A4169 heading north east on Buildwas Road.
- At the roundabout, take 1st exit on to A5223.
- After 0.2 miles at roundabout, take 1st exit After 0.4 miles turn left towards Dog in the Lane.
- After 0.3 miles turn right on to Dog in the Lane.
- After 0.7 miles turn right towards New Works Lane.
- After 0.5 miles turn left on to New Works Lane.
- After 0.5 miles there is a yellow barrier to a carpark on the left (point X on the plan), park here and continue on foot (sorry, we do not give out keys for viewing).
- Follow the track to the side of the carpark for 360 metres bearing right at the junction and to the silver barrier to the wider woodland (point A).
- Follow the stone track straight for 200 metres to the locked wooden gate on the right (point B).
- Climb the gate - this is the start of the wood.
- The northeast boundary is marked with blue paint on timber stakes and on trees.
- The northwest boundary is an old fence.
- The south boundary is the inside edge of the track indicated by a fence that may be off-set by a short distance.
- The eastern boundary is the inside edge of the track indicated by timber stakes and trees that may be off-set by a short distance.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a public right of way that cuts the southwest corner.
- A right of way is granted for this wood from the roadside bollards up to the woodland boundary (marked XABC and BD on the plan).
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.