Jersey Wood, 1.88 acres of beautiful oak woodland, near Kinnersley in Herefordshire £28,000 (freehold) [#F1564]
Secluded deciduous woodland surrounded by apple orchards with excellent access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 148
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SO 335 501
- Centre of wood: SO 337 502
Nearest postcode: HR3 6LD
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Jersey Wood is a gorgeous mixed species woodland consisting primarily of even aged oak trees, with ash, sycamore, rowan, hawthorn and even a lone western hemlock tree. Situated at the entrance to a larger woodland in the middle of the Herefordshire countryside, this woodland is extremely quiet and secluded and a perfect getaway.
As the seasons pass, the colours in this woodland are very impressive - especially in autumn. The ash leaves are the first to turn as the weather cools transforming to pale yellow, the oak then turns a lovely dark brown and red, with the hemlock providing a continuous dark green and the sycamore adding more yellows and browns. This produces a picturesque autumnal vista and is a marvellous sight to behold.
The woodland has been thinned out in recent years which has provided some growing space for the oaks. Bramble bushes have taken advantage of the increase in sunlight and have bloomed in the gaps, some self-seeded trees (mostly ash and sycamore) are also competing for space and light too with some success. At the time of our last visit, the bramble bushes were fully laden with fruit, the temptation to harvest the fruit to make a fresh blackberry pie or some jam was very strong! Red campion, a variety of ferns, a mixture of wild grasses and fungi are also growing throughout the woodland.
A combination of squirrels and songbirds (and the occasional buzzard) are frequent visitors to the woodland and it is suspected that the bramble is home to some dormice too.
Access off the main road is via a short stoned track and through a couple of gates, surrounded by apple orchards grown for a local cider making farm. These factors, as well as the immediate agricultural land make for an exceptionally quiet and secluded space, perfect for someone looking for a little retreat.
If It Were Mine
There is a flat area towards the top end of the woodland which would be a great place to camp if that is something enjoyed by the family.
The oak don’t need any further management for a number of years, however I would look to underplant some of the gaps between the trees with a mixture of species such as cherry, as I have a particular fondness for cherry blossom in the spring.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Driving from Hereford, take the A438 heading north westerly towards Brecon.
- Drive for approximately 2.5 miles along the A438, turn immediately right after you pass the Wyevale Garden Centre onto the A480, in the direction of Stretton Sugwas, Credenhill and Weobley.
- Keep on the A480 for approximately 10 miles.
- When you reach Sarnesfield, turn left onto the A4112, heading for Brecon and Kinnersley.
- Continue for 2 miles, driving into Kinnersley, and turn right, heading for Almeley.
- Continue for approximately 0.7 miles, where you will see a steel gate on the right-hand side, and directly opposite the gate should be a Woods4Sale sign (point X). This is the entrance to the woodland.
- Please park in a suitable safe place off the road, not obstructing the gates or through traffic. Sorry we do not provide the code or keys for viewing (buyers will have full vehicular access into the wood upon completion).
- Climb the gate and continue east along the forest track for approximately 100 metres to a second gate (point A).
- Climb the gate and continue along the track for a further 40 metres until you come to a timber gate and a Woods4Sale sign (point B). Open this gate, this is the start of the woodland.
- The northwest, southwest and southeast boundaries are the woodland edge, with farmland immediately adjacent (including the gate at point B).
- The northeast boundary is indicated by green paint on trees and posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over XAB.
- There is a right of way reserved to others over BC.
- There are no public rights of way within the woodland.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.