Ballihoo Wood, 2.44 acres of beautiful oak woodland, near Kinnersley in Herefordshire £34,000 (freehold) [#F1560]
An ancient woodland with oak and ash trees on relatively level ground with excellent access in a very secluded countryside location not far from Leominster.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 148
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SO 335 501
- Centre of wood: SO 337 502
Nearest postcode: HR3 6LD
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Ballihoo Wood is a fantastic woodland predominately filled with oak trees, a smattering of ash, the occasional sycamore, rowan, hawthorn, and a couple of western hemlock. We understand the oak trees were planted about 50 years ago and have been well managed. The recent thinning operations within the woodland have created more room for the remaining trees to grow. Whilst the trees within the woodland are relatively similar in age, there are some older oak trees to the edges.
The ground vegetation within the woodland at the time of writing was dominated by fruit laden blackberries but there is a mix of other plant species present, such as red campion, varieties of ferns, wild grasses, some fungi and even the occasional self-seeded oak or ash tree too competing for space and light.
The recently upgraded stone track leading into the woodland allows easy access with two wheeled drive cars all year round. The short journey from the main road takes you through some apple and pear orchards which are grown for a local cider making farm. The fields further beyond are a mixture of grazing land and wheat fields, making Ballihoo Wood a noticeably quiet space with only the gentle sounds of the countryside for company.
Whilst the woodland is situated on a gentle northwest facing slope, there is a small flat area near the main track and a larger flat area in the south west corner of the woodland which feels very secluded being situated against the edge of the trees.
Squirrels and songbirds (and the occasional buzzard) are frequent visitors to the woodland and it is suspected that the bramble is home to some dormice too. All in all, Ballihoo Wood is a wonderfully quiet and secluded woodland, a delightful place to spend some time out of the house.
If It Were Mine
Making a couple of paths through the bramble to allow access up to the top of the woodland, I might even try and clear enough to drive my car there in in the drier weather. I would almost certainly clear an area in the southwest corner to pitch a tent as this would be a great place to camp.
I would also look to underplant between the rows of the oak trees and I might look to introduce a second species and plant in some reasonable numbers, perhaps cherry as the blossom in the spring is a delight and would look amazing with the oak trees, not to mention the crop of fruit you might get too!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Driving from Hereford, take the A438 heading north westerly towards Brecon.
- Drive for approximately 2.5 miles along the A438, turn immediately right after you pass the Wyevale Garden Centre onto the A480, in the direction of Stretton Sugwas, Credenhill and Weobley.
- Keep on the A480 for approximately 10 miles.
- When you reach Sarnesfield, turn left onto the A4112, heading for Brecon and Kinnersley.
- Continue for 2 miles, driving into Kinnersley, and turn right, heading for Almeley.
- Continue for approximately 0.7 miles, where you will see a steel gate on the right-hand side, and directly opposite the gate should be a Woods4Sale sign (point X). This is the entrance to the woodland.
- Please park in a suitable safe place off the road, not obstructing the gates or through traffic. Sorry we do not provide the code or keys for viewing (buyers will have full vehicular access into the wood upon completion).
- Climb the gate and continue east along the forest track for approximately 100 metres to a second gate (point A).
- Climb the gate and continue along the track for a further 40 metres until you come to a timber gate and a Woods4Sale sign (point B).
- Open the gate and continue down the track for a short distance (around 20 metres) until you get to a wooden post marked with green paint (point C). This is the western boundary of the woodland.
- The northwest and southeast boundaries are the woodland edge, with farmland immediately adjacent.
- The northeast boundary is indicated by orange paint on trees and posts.
- The southwest boundary is indicated by green paint on trees and posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over XABC.
- There is a right of way reserved to others over CD.
- There are no public rights of way within the woodland.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.