Upham Wood, near Telford, Shropshire. 1.62 acres of secluded mature woodland with oak and chestnut for £19,000 (freehold) [#M1433]
An Ancient Semi-Natural Woodland with mature broadleaves, benefiting from excellent access, not far from both the towns of Telford and Shrewsbury.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 127
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SJ 662 092
- Centre of wood: SJ 657 093
Nearest postcode: TF6 5BS
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Upham Wood is a delightful and diverse woodland set amongst a wider forest within the tranquil Shropshire countryside. Some three miles south of the M54 and a short distance east of historic Shrewsbury, this broadleaf wood is centrally located and forms part of an Ancient Semi-Natural Woodland.
This distinctive wood sits on generally flat ground with a slight incline to the east. It is populated with good examples of mature oak, chestnut, birch and rowan. The soil is fertile loamy clay, supporting a dense understorey of holly and hazel which provide shelter for the abundant fallow deer population.
Sightings of local birdlife such as song thrush, warbler, woodpecker and tawny owl are commonplace in the area.
The entrance to the wood has an open feel with well-spaced trees allowing light through to bathe the floor thus allowing vegetation to grow. Towards the rear of the wood the canopy is closed with holly and denser tree spacing providing the opportunity to demonstrate some silvicultural flair.
Upham Wood benefits from excellent hard stoned access that is suitable year-round for a 2WD vehicle.
If It Were Mine
The trees would welcome a thinning, opening up some of the holly and bringing light onto the woodland floor to encourage regeneration. I would seek to make a few clearings, put up some deer fencing and see what trees emerge from the soil. In time it is likely that ferns and bluebells will emerge along with self-seeded tree saplings.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the PowerStation at Ironbridge A4169 heading north east on Buildwas Road.
- At the roundabout, take 1st exit on to A5223.
- After 0.2 miles at roundabout, take 1st exit After 0.4 miles turn left towards Dog in the Lane.
- After 0.3 miles turn right on to Dog in the Lane.
- After 0.7 miles turn right towards New Works Lane.
- After 0.5 miles turn left on to New Works Lane.
- After 0.5 miles there is a yellow barrier to a carpark on the left (point X on the plan), park here and continue on foot.
- Follow the track to the side of the carpark for 360 metres bearing right at the junction and to the silver barrier to the wider woodland (point A).
- Follow the stone track, after 300 metres there is a wooden gate (point B).
- Climb the gate and follow the track for 170 metres (point C), the wood starts here on the left marked with green paint on a wooden stake.
- I’m sorry but we do not give out keys for viewing.
- The northern boundary is marked with green paint on timber stakes and on trees.
- The southern boundary is marked with yellow paint on timber stakes and on trees.
- The western boundary is the inside edge of the track indicated by wooden posts with blue paint that may be off-set by a short distance.
- The eastern boundary is marked with red paint on timber stakes and on trees.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale, except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way inside this wood.
- A right of way is granted at all times and for all purposes from the roadside bollards up to the woodland boundary (marked XABCD on the plan).
- A shared maintenance clause covers these rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.