Hollow Wood, Rudyard, Leek, Staffordshire. 0.85 acres of broadleaved woodland for £12,000 (freehold) [#M1306]
A peaceful, diverse woodland with lots of character with a mixture of broadleaved trees in a quiet setting, yet within easy reach of a number of nearby towns.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 118
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SJ 952 598
- Centre of wood: SJ 950 592
Nearest postcode: ST13 8PP
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Hollow Wood occupies a southwest facing slope that looks over the valley at Rudyard. A stone’s throw from Leek, this delightful woodland features birch, oak and rowan with a floor adorned with a carpet of bluebells in the spring and early summer months. The average age of the trees is estimated at 25 years, with many older and mature trees around the periphery.
This wood forms part of a wider forested landscape and is reached via a stoned track that passes through Hollow Wood and beyond. Within the wood there are two short lengths of soft track that were historically used to access from other areas and now provide useful internal access within Hollow Wood.
The birch and oak close the canopy and create a wonderful uncluttered habitat making it easy to walk through. With honeysuckle, bluebell, bilberry, primrose, fine grass and ferns, Hollow Wood is an ecological gem. Where the canopy breaks, there is a stunning aspect with views of rolling hills around Rudyard Lake.
This woodland offers a great combination of amenity and recreation potential. There is also an option to undertake some silviculture work to enhance the diversity within the wood and collect some firewood.
Hollow Wood has an existing Forestry Commission thinning licence but is within a Conservation Area, as such it is a requirement to consult with the Planning Authorities before felling trees.
If It Were Mine
I would continue to make a few small breaks in the canopy, allowing the oaks to take advantage. The small clearings will open the floor to possible generation of tree seed dormant in the ground and produce a little firewood for the hearth.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Leave Leek heading northwest along the A523 to Macclesfield.
- After about a mile you will pass the junction for Rudyard Road on the left.
- Keep on this road for a further mile and pass a junction on the right on a left-hand bend staying on the A523.
- Entrance to the wood is around a further 220 metres on the left. The metal gate has a Red Rock Forestry Management sign on it (point A on the plan).
- Park safely without blocking access and climb the gate (sorry, we do not give out keys for viewing).
- Follow the track for 550 metres to point B, this is the start of the wood and continues on both sides of the track
- The north boundary is indicated with red paint on wooden posts and an old stone wall.
- The southeast boundary is in part orange wooden posts and unpainted posts set back from the inside edge of the track.
- The east boundary is the agricultural fence and in part an old stone wall.
- The west boundary is the agricultural fence and in part an old stone wall.
- The south corner is indicated with a fence.
The woodland comes with full sporting rights.
The mineral rights are included in the sale except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way inside this wood.
- A right of way is granted for this wood from the council road up to the woodland boundary (marked AB on the plan).
- A right of way is reserved over points BC for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all rights of way.
There are no known existing fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.