Broad Wood, nr. Pontesbury, Shrewsbury, mid Shropshire 1.94 acres of mature oak woodland for £27,000 (freehold) [#M1234]
With an ancient woodland feel, this beautiful oak woodland is a treasure not to be missed.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 126
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SJ 395 017
- Centre of wood: SJ 393 015
Nearest postcode: SY5 0SQ
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Broad Wood is a most attractive woodland featuring mature widely spaced oaks that create a natural undisturbed feel. Set within an Ancient Woodland amongst the stunning Shropshire hills, it represents a fantastic opportunity to own a diverse quintessential English woodland. There is an abundance of birch and ash throughout with a flush of alder where the soil is wetter. Two of the boundaries are adjoining woodland and the third is the edge of a hard surfaced track providing access along the full length of the wood.
The character of this wood is defined by the well-spaced trees and the unencumbered grassy floor that allows easy access to wander around. Where the canopy opens, the vegetation rises to produce some more secluded areas of self-seeded trees, climbers, ferns and a rich and diverse oak woodland habitat. Thriving in its fertile soil you will find alder, hazel, holly trees and hard fern, dog-rose, honeysuckle, sedge and even some small patches of bluebells to name but a few of the seasonal woodland blooms here.
Broad Wood is in a remote and peaceful location, only disturbed by the sound of farm animals in the distance and the clip-clop of a horse on the road. Access from the council road is along a hard stoned track that passes through fields and woodland on its way up and past the wood. There is a pull-in to park a car and the track makes it accessible at all times of the year in a 2WD vehicle.
If It Were Mine
Not to be spoilt by human trappings I would maintain its ancient feel, a little path would be nice from the car to a camping spot, a rope swing would be fun on a sturdy tree and a bench or seat to look out from. Silviculturally, I would plant some native trees through suppression mats where there is open canopy and try to enhance the wood for the next generation.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Shrewsbury.
- From A5 by-pass take the A488 towards Pontesbury.
- In Pontesbury continue down the hill and turn left onto Chapel Street which is approximately 200 metres before the Church.
- Continue on Chapel Street keeping left which takes you onto Habberley Road.
- Continue to Habberley and take the second right where the road forks towards Bridges.
- Continue on this road for approximately one mile before turning right onto a stone track to Lower Vessons (point X on the plan below).
- At the sharp bend the entrance gate is in front of you which has a Red Rock Forestry management sign on it (point A).
- Park safely without blocking access and continue on foot (we do not give out keys for viewing).
- Follow the track for 100 metres (point B).
- Take the second right up the track and continue for 130 metres to point C, the wood starts here.
- The east boundary is indicated with blue paint on wooden posts and boundary trees.
- The south boundary is indicated with pink paint on wooden posts and boundary trees.
- The west and northwest boundary is indicated with green paint on wooden posts and boundary trees set back from the outside edge of the track.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are reserved to a previous owner.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way inside this wood.
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over the route XABC.
- A right of access is reserved to others over the tack CD.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with maintenance according to use.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
Tree Preservation Order
The woodland has been designated as an Ancient Woodland and is subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). This does not prevent appropriate tree felling. However, the agreement of the local Tree Officer must be obtained in advance.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.