Chant Wood 1.78 acres of mature Douglas fir, located between Ross-on-Wye and Ledbury, Herefordshire. £23,000 (freehold) [#M1182]
An attractive stand of mature Douglas fir, a light understorey of young trees and shrubs in a rural location just off the M50 with excellent access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 149
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SO 639 289
- Centre of wood: SO 642 288
Nearest postcode: HR9 7RG
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Located a short distance from Ross-on-Wye, in an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Chant Wood is found at the heart of a larger forested woodland known as Coldborough Park. It offers a significant stand of mature Douglas fir with peripheral mature broadleaves.
Chant Wood is recognised as an Ancient Woodland indicating the land has been under continuous tree cover since at least 1600 AD but the former tree cover was replaced with conifer 45 years ago. The condition of these trees show their undeniable commercial capacity favouring the fertile soils. We estimate there to be around 500 tonnes of Douglas fir timber that could potentially be harvested. This timber is regarded as one of the finest and most durable and carries a healthy market price.
The broadleaved trees consist of mature oak, ash and sycamore with a developing understory in the open areas that include ash, sycamore, hazel and cherry.
Access is excellent being located immediately off the A449 via a well-made hard-surfaced stone track. A spur then leads further in and flanks the southern boundary.
The lay of the land is gently sloping down to the east and features a seasonal stream taking away excess water. The area has a private feel and you are unlikely to meet anyone, except other woodland owners.
There is a rich and varied habitat supporting a wide variety of fauna. Woodland songbirds abound, we also noted ravens, roe deer and buzzards as well as the tell-tale signs of badgers and foxes. Other residents include woodpeckers, tawny owls and goldcrests.
If It Were Mine
I would consider felling a small group of trees on the leading edge and restocking, or taking a very light approach, thinning some of the trees making use of the Forestry Commission thinning licence that is in place. I would encourage any regenerating trees with a little TLC by adding a shelter and a stake.
Please remember some felling operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Ross-on-Wye, exit roundabout on to A449.
- Follow the road for 3.2 miles.
- The access gate is just after a left hand bend on the right (point X on the plan below). Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Park in the layby and continue on foot down the track for 160 metres where you will see a Woods4Sale sign (point A).
- Take a right and follow the track for a further 130 metres to point B. This is the start of the wood.
- The southwest and southeast boundaries along the edge of the track are indicated by green paint on boundary trees and wooden posts.
- The northwest boundary is indicated by blue paint on boundary trees and wooden posts.
- The northeast boundary is indicated by white paint on boundary trees and wooden posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way in this wood.
- A right of way is granted for this wood from the council road up to the woodland boundary (marked XABC on the plan).
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- The full contact details (full name, address & phone number) and date of birth of the legal purchaser(s)
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.