The Warren, Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire. A vibrant mature conifer and broadleaved woodland set in a quiet location. 14.53 acres for £115,000 (freehold) [#M1165]
This riverside property ranks high with prospects for commercial timber production, high amenity and sporting value. With excellent access, this is a characterful woodland with a remote feel, yet located near to Kidderminster.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 150
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SO 781 674
- Centre of wood: SO 784 672
Nearest postcode: DY13 0RJ
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Down a quiet single track road, over a delightful river, Dick Brook, this charming woodland has all the attributes one would wish for. Follow the hard surfaced track through the gates and beyond to a clearing there is a great vista of the wood. Packed with larch, pine and hemlock, the conifer trees occupy the majority of the woodland and provide a great opportunity to earn tax free revenue from the timber sales. On the flank and lower sections there are mid rotation ash and mature mixed broadleaves with notable grand oaks throughout and a couple of sweet chestnut to the southern corner.
The Warren has been a well-managed wood since it was re-planted in 1969, a light thinning regime was carried out a few years ago to maximise the potential from the trees, although there is little evidence of this disturbance on the ground. The broadleaved sections make up some of the less accessible areas, they create seclusion and provide a refuge for native woodland habitat to thrive. Within them there are a range of different age crops which would welcome a very light thin to produce some useful timber or firewood.
The river provides excellent fishing opportunity from the banks which are adorned with rich displays of flora, notably the seasonal opulent wild garlic at the time of writing. Following an old ride down to the bank there is a stream which runs along the boundary and some interesting old formations with the adjoining land that were once part of a small hatchery for young fish stock.
In the centre of the wood there is an interesting undulation that provides wonderful character and an opportunity to create a useful bridge and enhance accessibility to the rest of the woodland.
The owner has created a few wooden structures that could be utilised as hides for viewing the local wildlife. There is also a caravan for summer sleepovers.
If It Were Mine
I would open some paths and rides to gain better access to all areas, build a bridge and create a camping spot by the stream. I would also implement a thinning regime of the broadleaves to enhance the development of the woodland further and produce a long term plan to fell and restock the conifer parts of the wood in two phases.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Stourport-on-Severn travelling south west on the A451, travel through Dunley and after 2.5 miles turn left towards Yarhampton (Church Lane).
- The Warren is on the right after half a mile and the entrance is indicated with a Woods4Sale sale sign (point A on the plan below).
- Follow the track to the locked gates (point B). I’m sorry but we do not give out keys for viewing.
- Park without obstructing access along the track.
- The north boundary from the entrance is just set back from the council road. Where the river enters it is the river bank.
- The southeast boundary is the stream.
- The northwest boundary is indicated by the agricultural fence along the field margin.
- The south boundary is indicated by the old hedge line embankment above the track.
- The southwest boundary (AB) is the outside edge of the track.
We believe the woodland is sold with the benefit of the sporting rights - There is an old conveyance from 27/1/76 that states that a previous adjacent land owner has the right to enter The Warren to shoot but this has not been exercised for some time.
These are included in the sale, except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a public footpath that intersects the north east section.
- A right of way is granted over the track AB even though the woodland boundary includes the track.
- A shared maintenance clause covers this right of way.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
- There is a restriction on erecting a wall or structure within 50 yards of the boundary.
- The track (AB) shall not be obstructed nor shall the track be used for any purpose other than for forestry or agriculture.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- The full contact details (full name, address & phone number) and date of birth of the legal purchaser(s)
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.