Kempt Wood, 2.24 acres of mixed woodland, in a tranquil valley, located between Ross-on-Wye and Ledbury, Herefordshire, for £33,000 (freehold) [#M1098]
Abundant mature oaks and Douglas fir on a gentle south facing slope in a peaceful location with excellent access along a hard surfaced track, 3 miles from Ross-on-Wye.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 149
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SO 639 289
- Centre of wood: SO 644 288
Nearest postcode: HR9 7RG
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Kempt Wood is a light and roomy broadleaved woodland with a slight southerly aspect. Located in a delightful wooded valley a short distance from Ross-on-Wye and a few miles from the M50, it has excellent access provided by a recently upgraded stone track leading to the edge of the wood.
Within the wood you will find mixed broadleaves, oak, ash, cherry, maple, rowan, hazel, and holly. There are also a good number of mature Douglas fir, highly valued in the timber industry for its sheer strength and resistance to decay. The amenity value of these grand trees greatly contributes to the wood providing aesthetic appeal throughout the winter months when the leaves are gone.
As you walk through the wood the floor is mostly unencumbered with patches of bramble and areas of prolific tree regeneration where the canopy opens.
Wildlife is abundant, as you would expect in established broadleaved woodland, with fallow deer paying a frequent visit and stags making their presence known in the autumn.
Kempt Wood has an intriguing charm, brimming with character and a very pleasant place to be. Looking out over fields the wood has a private feel and provides ample opportunity to do some tree work, plant up areas, create a hide or a small place to spend the evening under the stars.
If It Were Mine
I would thin out any sycamore and poor trees to favour nicer species and healthy trees. Perhaps clear a path from the turning area into the wood where I could create a small shelter in keeping with the surroundings.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Ross-on-Wye: exit roundabout on to A449.
- Follow the road for 3.2 miles.
- The access gate is just after a left hand bend on the right. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Park in the layby and continue on foot down the track through points AB (marked on the plan below) for 470 metres to point C. This is the start of the wood.
- The northwest boundaries are indicated by orange paint on wooden stakes and boundary trees.
- The northeast boundaries are indicated by green paint boundary trees and wooden posts.
- The southern boundaries are fenced.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way in this wood.
- A right of way is granted for this wood from the council road up to the woodland boundary (marked ABC on the plan).
- A right of way is reserved over CD for the benefit of the wood beyond.
- A right of way is granted for the purpose of timber extraction over XY.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way, with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- The full contact details (full name, address & phone number) and date of birth of the legal purchaser(s)
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.