Doctors Wood, Little Wenlock, near Telford, Shropshire. 6.10 acres of mature oak woodland for £67,000 (freehold) [#J1077]
Superb mature oak woodland with hazel coppice in a very quiet location. Excellent road access and a useful woodland shed. Close to the M54 giving good access from the Midlands and Wales.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 127.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Gate: SJ 628 069.
- Centre of Wood: SJ 629 073.
Nearest postcode: TF6 5BL.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Doctors Wood is a superb example of mature oak woodland with an understorey of hazel coppice. The large mature oaks contain valuable timber although the value of the woodland greatly exceeds the timber growing here. Hazel coppice is growing under the well spaced oaks and there are open spaces that provide a rich diversity of habitats. Other trees growing in the woodland include sycamore, ash, birch, alder, holly, cherry and willow.
The owner has planted a corner in the north of the woodland with an experimental grove of walnut trees. These are now established and appear to be doing well. There are also one or two young horse chestnut trees planted around the woodland.
This woodland is classified as ‘Ancient Woodland’, which is a designation that is used for woodland where there is evidence of forest cover continuously since the year 1600.
Underneath the oaks is a carpet of bluebells in the spring, as well as wild garlic and wood anemones. The land is flat or gently sloping and generally well drained. The soil is classified as fine loam and the fertility is clearly demonstrated by the growth rates of the trees.
Access to the woodland is excellent. From a quiet country road you go through a locked private gate and then along a good quality hard forest track, suitable for cars at all times of the year, which takes you right up to and then into Doctors Wood. A very useful shed/cabin is located hidden away in the woodland and makes a wonderful place for overnight camping or a BBQ.
The location could not be more peaceful, with other woodland on three sides and a field on the fourth. There are plenty of open glades between the trees that would be perfect spots for picnics or camping. The woodland is full of wildlife with a herd of roe deer that appears to be virtually resident and has been seen in the woodland every time our forester has visited.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the M54 leave at junction 7, signed for Wellington B5061. If you are travelling from the Shrewsbury direction this is the very beginning of the motorway.
- At the bottom of the slip road take the direction signed for Little Wenlock.
- After about ½ mile once again take the Little Wenlock direction at the ‘T’ junction.
- Travel for a further 2 miles into the village of Little Wenlock.
- Just as you enter the village take a sharp right turn into Spout Lane, signed for Rushton and Garmston.
- After about 1 mile you will see a Woods4Sale sign in a gateway on your right hand side (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in the gateway and walk around the gate into the woodland.
- Walk straight ahead up the track for around 300 metres until you see a second (smaller) Woods4Sale sign and wooden post with a blue painted top on your left.
- This is point B on the plan below and Doctors Wood is now on your left hand side.
- If you walk a further 30 metres up the track you can turn left into Doctors Wood along the track (point C).
- The northern boundary is the agricultural fence.
- The western boundary is indicated by wooden posts and trees with green paint.
- The southern boundary is indicated by wooden posts and trees with blue paint.
- The eastern boundary is the inside edge of the forest road.
The woodland comes with full sporting rights and these are included in the sale.
These are owned and included in the sale except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way for the owners of Doctors Wood over the route marked ABC on the plan below.
- A right of way is reserved over the route marked CD for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers these rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in this wood.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.