Chalkshire Wood, 1.9 acres of stunning beech, ash and holly, a stone’s throw from the historic village of Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire for £42,000 (freehold) [#S1900]
A magnificent Ancient Woodland with numerous recreational opportunities in The Chilterns Area of Outstanding Beauty, 35 miles from London.
HP16 9PF (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 181
- Roadside gate: SP 881 016
- Centre of wood: SP 879 017
Chalkshire Wood forms part of a wider woodland in rural Buckinghamshire and is located just outside the historic village of Great Missenden– the former home of the renowned children’s book author Roald Dahl. Access is via a locked gate and along a track.
Situated amongst northern gently sloping chalky flint soils, the lofty canopy primarily consists of mature beech, ash, oak, sycamore and birch, intermingled with occasional cherry and rowan. The lush shrub layer comprises clumps of holly that provide a nice sense of privacy within, providing spots for camping on the more level areas. There is also hazel coppice and younger regenerating beech to be found; the saplings of beech often establish well under a shaded canopy, a common trait of this species. During warmer times of the year patches of colourful ground cover include bluebell, herb-robert, red campion, dog’s mercury and fern, all relished by pollinating insects.
There is a ride towards the west of the woodland that also accommodates a low-capacity power line, this affords a welcome space for deer (fallow and roe) to bask in on sunny days. There are a number of undulations throughout, some of which are understood to be historical chalk pits from bygone days.
A variety of feathered visitors include buzzard, skylark, tree pipit, green woodpecker and many congenial songsters. In addition to the deer, woodland mammals such as wood mouse, badger, fox and hare have been spotted.
If It Were Mine
I would plan a few camping trips with a strict ‘leave no trace’ policy to keep this wonderful place as nature intended. I would select some of the larger holly stems for fuel, the wood is very dense and can burn efficiently for hours once seasoned. Bushcraft skills would be honed here, there is ample material to hand.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the A413, take the A4128 towards Great Missenden. Turn right onto High Street at the mini roundabout then straight over the one soon after.
- Continue north forking left after 240 metres onto Rignall Road, sign posted towards Butlers Cross and Princes Risborough.
- Continue along Rignall Road passing over the railway and Great Missenden Garage shortly after.
- After 0.6 miles turn left onto Broombarn Lane with the white house set back on the corner and the blue ‘Unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles’ sign.
- Continue up the lane for 340 metres and you will arrive at a steel gate on the right with our Woods4Sale sign attached (point A on the plan below) and an orange X locator on a tree.
- Please park in a safe place not obstructing any access points nor the road.
- Climb over the gate (sorry we do not provide keys for viewings) and continue along the track
- After 200 metres you will arrive at Chalkshire Wood (point B) to the right of the track, indicated by green and yellow paint on a wooden post.
- The northern boundary for the most part follows the top of an earth bank indicated by white paint on occasional wooden posts and trees with the post and rail fence and paddocks beyond.
- The southern boundary is the inside edge of the track indicated by green paint on occasional trees and wooden posts that maybe offset by a short distance.
- The northwestern boundary is indicated by blue paint on occasional trees and wooden posts with the public footpath and further woodland beyond.
- The eastern boundary is indicated by yellow paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route ABC.
- There are no public rights of way within this woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
Tree Preservation Order
The woodland is subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). This does not prevent appropriate tree felling. However, the agreement of the local Tree Officer must be obtained in advance.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. We cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the land.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.