Hepplewhite, 1.5 acres of mature broadleaf woodland near the village of Woodcote in a peaceful area of Oxfordshire for £24,000 (freehold) [#M1671]
A delightful beech woodland within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in south east Oxfordshire, with 2WD vehicular access.
RG8 0RT (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 175
- Roadside gate: SU 648 808
- Centre of wood: SU 651 806
Set within an Ancient Woodland, Hepplewhite is a typical mature beech wood near to the charming village of Woodcote in Oxfordshire. With a shared gated access and a hard surfaced track, the wood is both secure and accessible throughout the year.
The abundance of beech is evident, and you will also find holly which provides seclusion to the openness of the towering beech. The fertile loamy soil creates some good natural beech regeneration in the understory too. There are a number of open areas and small hollows that would make ideal overnight camping locations.
This wonderful, wooded environment has become home to abundant wildlife populations that can be heard and spotted throughout, including long-eared owl, roe deer and the magpie inkcap fungus.
This grand woodland pays homage to the historical management carried out that drove the thriving furniture industry in nearby High Wycombe during the 1870s. The remnant of a track flanked with brachythecium moss leading into the wood evidences the woodland’s past.
Hepplewhite benefits from a recently fenced southern boundary with access along a hard track suitable for a 2WD vehicle.
If It Were Mine
I would take advantage of the unique environment spending nights out camping using the open areas and hollows practising woodlore. I would also yield a small amount of domestic firewood from the holly utilising its dense and long burning capability.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the edge of Reading take the A4074 north towards Wallingford and Oxford.
- Approximately 1 mile past Cane End turn left onto the B4526.
- Follow this road for another mile and then turn right for Woodcote.
- The entrance for the wood can be seen on the right-hand side of the road after 550 metres (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable place and climb the gate.
- Continue along the track, keeping right at the junction (point B) for approximately 110 metres.
- From here, continue for 190 metres to point C.
- The woodland entrance is to the left of the boundary fence.
- Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- The northwest boundary is marked with blue paint on trees and wooden stakes.
- The northeast boundary is marked with yellow paint on trees and wooden stakes.
- The southern boundary is marked by the fence and a wooden stake with green paint.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route ABC on the plan below.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.