Parson Wood, Eakring, near Mansfield and Newark in the county of Nottinghamshire. 2.65 acres of broadleaved woodland for £32,000 (freehold) [#M1599]
A mature maple, ash and beech woodland with a variety of other tree species. Positioned in a peaceful part of a larger Ancient Woodland, with superb vehicular access.
NG22 8PA (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 120
- Roadside gate: SK 675 602
- Centre of wood: SK 680 597
Parson Wood comprises of a broadly flat parcel of native woodland typically containing mature maple, ash and beech. It lies within an Ancient Woodland amongst the rolling hills of the rural district of Sherwood. Excellent local roads make this woodland easily accessible by car, within 15 minutes drive of both Mansfield and Newark.
Amongst the mature trees there are abundant numbers of smaller trees in the lower canopy that give the wood a diverse and sheltered feel. The occasional thorn, hazel and box add character, further demonstrating the richness of this woodland.
The forest floor is free from entanglement, providing easy walking in the shady areas. There is an old ride that extends the width of the wood that is overgrown with climbers, grasses and bramble.
Parson Wood is a wonderful amenity woodland that also offers timber prospects if the new owner so desired. It has great potential for leisure activities - there is a significant clearing that is hard stoned but overgrown and would make a good spot for the odd overnight stay as well as being the perfect base for the amateur woodsman looking to provide firewood for the hearth.
The wood benefits from a hard-surfaced track that runs from the public road to the woodland boundary and is suitable for a 2WD vehicle at all times of the year.
Historically the area formed part of the UK’s first on-shore oilfield and was in operation during the mid-1940s; the well heads were sealed many years ago.
The entire wood is designated as Ancient Woodland and it is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) relating to plants and features that are common in old woodlands.
The entire forested area has 7 years remaining on a 10 year management plan outlining, without obligation, the potential future management of the woodland that is in tune with the aspirations of SSSI.
If It Were Mine
Parson Wood needs very little work but as a keen forester, I would seek out any disadvantaged trees and remove either them or the surrounding trees to encourage them to develop.
I would select a sturdy branch for a rope swing and create a camping spot for some magical moments with the family.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head east from Mansfield on the A617.
- Stay on the A617 (Kirklington Road) dual carriageway bypassing Rainworth.
- Go straight over the roundabout that meets the A614.
- After 4 miles turn left on to Eakring Lane.
- Follow the road for approximately 1.5 miles until you arrive at a carpark at the entrance to the forest, with a Red Rock Forestry sign on the gate (point A on the plan below).
- Park here and continue on foot (sorry, we do not provide keys for viewing).
- Continue walking for 640 metres passing another gate (point B), then to point C.
- This the start of the wood on your right and continues for 100 metres, at the T junction take the right and just past the gate on the right is the entrance with opening and hard surface area.
- The north boundary is the unmarked outside edge of the track.
- The east boundary is the unmarked outside edge of the track.
- The south boundary is indicated with blue paint on wooden posts and boundary trees.
- The west boundary is indicated with red paint on wooden posts and boundary trees.
- The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
- There is a historic exception to this where a named person in the title document could enter the property to take fox, however we believe this is unlikely to be exercised.
- The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
- The rights to extract oil are reserved to a previous owner and we believe these are unlikely to ever be exercised.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way inside this wood but there is a bridle path that runs along the northerly track.
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over the route ABC.
- A right of way is reserved over the route CDE for the benefit of the land beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no fencing obligations.
The woodland is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). To view the citation click on the following links.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.