Whisper Wood, 2.41 acres of broadleaved woodland near to Eakring, between Mansfield and Newark in the county of Nottinghamshire for £27,000 (freehold) [#M1570]
A beautiful deciduous woodland with fantastic views. Positioned on the edge of a peaceful larger Ancient Woodland, with good vehicular access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 120
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SK 675 602
- Centre of wood: SK 682 596
Nearest postcode: NG22 8PA
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Centre of the wood: ///wedge.contained.cleansed
Whisper Wood sits amid beautiful Sherwood countryside, with woodland on one side and open arable land to the south offering uninterrupted views. The property is at the far end of a long hard surfaced track and as such it is very peaceful and quiet. The wood is designated as an Ancient Woodland thus determined by virtue of it being under continuous tree cover since the 1600s. It has been well managed to produce trees with good form and space.
The woodland is a mixture of semi mature native broadleaf trees typical of a native wood. There is a strong presence of ash supported by oak, beech and sycamore. The understory has a large population of small trees including hazel birch and rowan. There is also yew, a fabulous evergreen, symbolic of Ancient Woodland.
The forest floor is rich with wildflowers and shrubs, including patches of bluebells in springtime, violet, campion and anemone. There is also the lovely scent of seasonal honeysuckle in the morning, abundant in number because of the strong understory.
The soils are generally well drained sandy loams over sandstone with impeded areas flush with ramsons (wild garlic). The ground is flat with a slight gradient to the area that lies within the overall south facing aspect.
Whisper Wood is situated between the villages of Kirklington and Eakring in central Nottinghamshire. It benefits from good links to both the A617 and A614 for travelling to the market towns of Newark, Southwell and Mansfield as well as the city of Nottingham.
It is accessible with a 2WD car along a hard-surfaced track which runs the length of the forest all the way to the far edge of the wood. Within the wood you may find old rides that were used to extract timber.
Historically the area formed part of the UK’s first on-shore oilfield and was in operation during the mid-1940s; the well heads were sealed many years ago.
The wood is designated as Ancient Woodland and it is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) relating to plants and features that are common in old woodlands.
The entire forested area has 7 years remaining on a 10 year management plan outlining, without obligation, the potential future management of the woodland that is in tune with the aspirations of SSSI.
If It Were Mine
I would remove some of the trees that are being suppressed or in poor health and replant. Deadwood habitats and some nesting boxes are a nod to the beasties! I would cut a few hazel stools so that they can re-shoot.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head east from Mansfield on the A617.
- Stay on the A617 (Kirklington Road) dual carriageway bypassing Rainworth.
- Go straight over the roundabout that meets the A614.
- After 4 miles turn left on to Eakring Lane.
- Follow the road for approximately 1.5 miles until you arrive at a carpark at the entrance to the forest, with a Red Rock Forestry sign on the gate (point A on the plan below).
- Park here and continue on foot, (sorry, we do not provide keys for viewing).
- Continue walking for 730 metres passing another gate (point B), then carry on straight at point C.
- Continue for 200 metres to point D, this is the start of Whisper Wood on your right.
- The north boundary is the inside edge of the earth bank on the north side of the track indicated with green paint on wooden posts and boundary trees.
- The east boundary is indicated where the edge of the woodland meets the field.
- The south boundary is indicated where the edge of the wood meets the field.
- The west boundary is indicated with red paint on wooden posts and boundary trees.
- The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
- There is a historic exception to this where a named person in the title document could enter the property to take fox, however we believe this is unlikely to be exercised.
- The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
- The rights to extract oil are reserved to a previous owner and we believe these are unlikely to ever be exercised.
Rights Of Way
- There is a bridleway that goes along the track.
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over the route ABCD.
- A right of way is reserved over the route DE for the benefit of the land beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
The woodland is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). To view the citation click on the following links.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.