Ilex Wood, near Halstead, Essex. 10.28 acres of mature broadleaves with two ponds in a rural location, 55 miles from London. £127,500 (freehold) [#S1562]
Beautiful broadleaf woodland with oak, ash and hazel with vehicular access and numerous recreational opportunities, 4.8 miles north of Halstead.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 155
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TL 846 373
- Centre of wood: TL 842 374
Nearest postcode: CO10 7NG
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Ilex Wood forms part of a wider Ancient Woodland known as Butlers Wood and is situated in rural Essex, a short distance north of Halstead.
Offering a great sense of serenity, the wood is established on level loam over clay soils and encompasses a mature canopy of majestic oak standards and ash. The rich shrub layer below comprises cherry, birch, hazel coppice, holly, hawthorn and younger ash coppice; several of the ash coppice would make good fuel for the hearth. Rolling into the warmer months, the ground layer is awash with carpets of bluebell, fox glove, wood anemone, primrose and fern creating an enchanting scene amongst the stems.
Towards the middle of the woodland are two ponds, these would make lovely camping locations if the banks were to be cleared by a new owner. In addition, there are a number of good open spaces and hollows that would make good spots for honing bushcraft skills - there is ample material to hand for such backwoods activities!
Many feathered guests such as yellowhammer, owl, woodpecker and various mellifluous songbirds provide a background sound to the tranquillity of this location. Both fallow and roe deer, badger, fox and common pipistrelle bats have been observed making their way amongst the trees.
Traversable with a two-wheel drive vehicle in all but the wettest of conditions, Ilex Wood presents heaps of potential for a family to enjoy and learn more about woodland habitats.
If It Were Mine
Some story telling would definitely happen around a small fire. Family BBQs would also take place during the warmer months close to either of the ponds. This is a lovely place to observe the deer populations meandering through the trees, great if one is handy with a camera! Some firewood for the hearth, most certainly!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Halstead, continue north along the A131 passing through the hamlets of Little Maplestead and Long Gardens and then the first of 2 signs for ‘Spencer’s Farm Shop’.
- Approximately 300 metres after leaving Long Gardens continue over a crossroads with the second Spencer’s Farm Shop sign on the left.
- Continue for a further 620 metres and you will arrive at the slightly obscured access and gate on the left that is setback off the road (point A on the plan below), indicated by orange paint on a tree, just below a sign board attached to the same tree.
- If you arrive at a junction shortly after on the right with a yellow house signed posted for ‘The Henny’s via Watery Lane’, you have gone too far.
- This road is very busy, so we suggest parking in this area near the yellow house in a safe and suitable place and not obstructing any entrances or highway traffic.
- Please walk safely off the highway to the gate at point A and climb over the gate (sorry we do not provide keys for viewings).
- Continue straight along the track passing a gate on the right and a green storage unit on the left (point B).
- After 380 metres you will arrive at Ilex Wood (point C), indicated by our Woods4Sale sign on an oak ahead of you.
- The north boundary DE is the inside bank of the ditch and pond, EF is a low earth bund with fields beyond.
- The southwest boundary FG is an occasional low earth bund with fields beyond.
- The south boundary GH is indicated by blue and orange paint on occasional wooden posts.
- The east boundary HC is indicated by blue and white paint on occasional wooden posts, CD is the wire fence.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way over the route ABC.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
- All shared tracks are subject to a maintenance clause with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.